NON gaming card needed to match an i5-750 build

ski-4-ever

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I'm lost trying to find the right card.

I am looking to build on a budget so trying to keep costs down, but will spend where it makes sense. I don't game on my PC (PS3 for that) but will be looking at video editing, photo editing, ripping blue ray's and maybe some home theater uses down the road.

I want to have a HDMI port and dual monitor support. I know most of the editing stuff doesn't use the video card so its really about finding a card with the right ports and also supports whatever that protocol is that HDMI connection need to communicate.

I don't think I need a tv tuner card but it would be cool if I could input off of my TIVO and rip it.

Any idea's?

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Well for a basic 2D card id get something like a 4670. Good for HD viewing and dual monitors. (some have HDMI some dont) or if you want to spend alittle more then get a 5670. more powerfull and more power savings.

As for a tv tuner card youd need to buy that seperately and put into another slot. Dont know much in that area.

I say go with a Radeon 4670

SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 $74.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102854

It has one HDMI port, and one DVI port. If you want to have two HDMI ports then you would need an HDMI adapter for the DVI port, but be aware that the DVI port with the HDMI adapter will not carry an audio signal. If you want to spend more you can go with a newer Radeon 5670, for DX11 possibly, but anything past that wouldn't make sense for you. Some video conversion programs do take advantage of the GPU to accelerate encoding, but of course it's only for specific codecs :D.