Not open for further replies.

TheByt3

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
BUDGET: 200-260$ USD

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K at 3.30 GHz
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 EVO
Memory: Corsair Vengeance™ — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5
Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Caviar Black 1,5 TB SATA III
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1,5 TB SATA III
PSU: OCZ Z Series 650 Watt
Monitor: LG W2753VC-PF

OVERCLOCKING

CPU: NONE
Memory: NONE
GPU: GPU clock at 884 Mhz, Memory clock at 2100 Mhz

DETAILS

So I was thinking of buying an 128GB Sata III SSD and I wanted to know your recomendations people.

I really like vertex max iops but it's definitely out of my money range so I have been looking at vertex 3 (not max iops model) which is in my budget range and I was thinking of getting it, I have read benchmarks and tomshardware "ssd for the money" but I wanted some more opinions on the subject.

Problem is I have heard that Vertex 3 caused BSOD in many systems does it still cause them or has it been fixed?

So anyway tell me your opinions about buying vertex 3 or another one.

Thanks in advance!!!

Solution
If reliability and stability are major concerns, then I recommend Samsung. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. It looks like Samsung got it right again.

Here is a link the to ssd...
If reliability and stability are major concerns, then I recommend Samsung. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. It looks like Samsung got it right again.

Here is a link the to ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and then click on the links to the technical reviews.

Solution

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

THIS vertex 3?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

Repeat after me... "friends do not let friends buy OCZ drives, friends do not let friends buy... "

This drive happens to get better reviews than most OCZ drives, but still over 25% of the responses on newegg.com are very negative. I would not take that risk with my money. I second the opinions above to buy the Samsung 830 or the Crucial M4. I have upgraded 2 of my laptops, machines that could not take advantage of the fastest drives out there, and I bought Samsung and Intel for them.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

I have no interest in brand bashing, I don't know much about one brand vs. the other, and the only OCZ drive that I've ever bought is still running fine 3 years later. BUT you cannot help but see how much worse their reliability record is based on newegg feedback. I don't have money to waste experimenting on different brands so I looked up the reliability on all the major brands and it was obvious to me which ones to buy and which ones to not buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.