Overclocking the i2 E8200 2,66Ghz

ferdyy

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hello, first off, I have ZERO experience overclocking
I am aware that this CPU is REALLY old

When I google it I find most people to OC it to 3,6 Ghz.

However, I have ZERO experience and I'm on the stock cooler.

Could anybody link me a proper guide on how to OC and give me suggestions on to how far my CPU can go, I don't want to over do it. I don't want to buy something for it either because I'm buying a new CPU/MB in the future.

Thanks

My specs:
Corsair Builder CX430W
Gigabyte GV-R777OC-1GD 2.0
Intel core 2 duo E8200 @ 2.66GHZ
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP35-DS3 (Socket 775) Motherboard
4GB RAM DDR2
1280x1024 Resolution
Windows 7 64 bit

drums101

Distinguished
lol its not I2 its core 2 duo.....and for overclocking you should try and figure out what your cpu voltage is (use cpuz or core temp to tell you what your VID is) then go into the BIOS and set the cpu core voltage to that number and unlink your ram from the FSB....then slowly increase your FSB up to make the cpu faster and then test it using prime95....do little bits at a time dont jump up 500mhz at a time...raise the FSB little bits at time until it becomes unstable then bump up the vcore a little bit...keep doing this until you get to your desired speed.

ferdyy

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Edited it, can't change thread name though.

Why am I supposed to unlink my ram from the FSB (I honestly don't have a clue what FSB is but ok)?
Also do you mean my core voltage?
It keeps going up and down but the lowest is 1.120v and highest is 1.184v, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to set it to

drums101

Distinguished
I would set it to 1.2v (core voltage and vcore are the same thing it is the voltage being applied to the cpu)....FSB is basically the clock generator for the system....I cant really explain it in layman's terms sorry its hard...you unlink your ram bc you do not want to OC that too...you can once you are done with the cpu but not now that will just make it much more difficult to trouble shoot issues.

ferdyy

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

For example, if I go to 3,2Ghz eventually in small steps and it gets unstable, do I just change the vcore to 1,25 for example?

And I honestly don't know how to unlink my RAM, went in to BIOS yesterday but didn't really see it.
Is it in M.I.T.??
Or am I supposed to physically remove it out of my pc?

drums101

Distinguished
yea you would raise the voltage a little bit not even that much go from 1.20 to 1.225 or whatever the next step is in the BIOS...no need to jump up alot...looked through your manual for your board and the cpu host frequency is your FSB....the system memory multiplier is where you would unlink your memory from the FSB you set that to a specific value that leaves your ram at the closest to stock speed if there is no unlinked option...and cpu voltage control in the system voltage control section is where you would adjust your vcore.

ferdyy

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
First attempt:
In MIT:
I changed voltage something and that changed the core voltage to 1.25 I think or lower even though I set the one above it on 1,20v..

Then I changed the FSB from 200 to 250

And now my core speed is 2Ghz.
The ***?
Thats what CPU-Z says

Edit:
I'm stupid, I didn't realise when I turned it to manual it started with the lowest possible setting.
I'm now on 350 I believe @ 2,8Ghz, nothing strange so I'm gonna go higher

And I think that the core voltage is that what I can't change so should I switch it to that?
1,225 I believe

About the memory, I honestly have no idea what to set it to so I haven't changed it
Options are:
Auto, 2 , 3 and so on

More info about my ram:
4GB RAM DDR2 @ 420Mhz 5-6-6-19

Edit2:
I put the System memory multiplier on 2 because I read somewhere I should keep the RAM speed below 800? It's exactly at 800 with 425 FSB and multiplier 2
FSB on 425 and I'm on 3,2 Ghz.
O and I kept the voltage on 1,20.
So I just played GW2 with this, and HOLY *** I got such a big increase of performance.
My CPU is about 54-59 temperature though, thats pretty normal right? I'm going to run the prime95 test soon but I'm not sure what I need to set it though, going to look into it now
It's 58-60 average
My RAM is now: 5-5-5-18 @ 400Mhz

What happens when I put the System memory multiplier to 2,4? Can I go higher then? Or is that not possible? Or would my performance decrease?

Anyways I want to try out 3,4Ghz out tomorrow and then just go with that if it goes properly and run the Prime95 test

drums101

Distinguished
I would leave the voltage as low as you can until it becomes unstable.....your temps are fine 58-60 is probably about as high as you want to go in prime95 65c is my limit with those chips....maybe look into a better cooler? the coolermaster hyper 212 evo is a great cooler for cheap...also I would leave your RAM multiplier as low as it can go until you are done OC'ing your cpu...dont change too many things at once.

ferdyy

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
But would it be worth it
Because what I'm thinking right now is this:
If I go further my RAM speed will decrease.
SO if I would want to increase the CPU I'm decreasing the RAM speed.
I could buy better RAM but then I would need to buy better DDR2 ram AND a better cooler.

Would I really get an increase in performance?

Also: would going to 3,3 or 3,4 without a cooler be a bad idea? Would it get too high? Is my RAM not good enough?

And I'm getting a new motherboard with CPU in the future (already have DDR3 ram)

So I went to 425 FSB and my RAM changed to 5-6-6-20 424Mhz
3,4Ghz

Running prime95 and this happened:
http://puu.sh/17baY
I had it on the blend setting
Worker #1 is still going but #2 stopped and gave me this file:

[Fri Sep 21 13:16:58 2012]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Can't find a stress.txt file anywhere btw
So I'm assuming it still works because Worker #1 keeps going

drums101

Distinguished
no that doesnt mean it still works that means your core voltage is too low......also let your ram go lower for now and then you can change your ram multiplier to make your ram faster at the end.

babicvlastimir

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
I have P35 DS3L Gygabiye, CPU E8200, shitty water cooling (Tt), and yet, I easy reached 3,7Ghz, FSB 463. Oh, yes, I have 4GB Kingston 1066, so they gave me some more room for OC. Ratio is still 1:1. Vcore is 1,2 on CPUZ , and stable as rock.In BIOS, I added just two steps above normal Vcore, I think it says 1,234 or so... Maybe I could do some more adding of FSB (haven`t tried yet), but this is more than I have ever knew it was possible.Yeah, I know, I am 2y. behind on this thread, but I just bumped on it, so don`t take this as too late.

TRENDING THREADS