Phenom IIx2 545 unlocked cores and AMD overdrive.

sufe70

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
OK so I unlocked my 545 Callisto.Shut off Cool n Quiet and adjusted my MS power mngt to high performance.System runs great.Very stable. But I noticed a couple things within Overdrive after unlocking cores.
First is my core temps are all at -256c now and my TMPIN2 is at 128c.
I exit Overdrive and enter MSI overclock and my core temps are at a comfortable 28c to 30c each.(but does not list a TMPIN2 temp) Being that other overclock software and bios read them at normal levels,I am suspecting this -256 temp has something to do with Overdrive software and less a hardware issue. Any thoughts? anyone else getting these numbers after unlocking?

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I unlocked a both an Athlon II x3 and a Sempron 140 (I think) and when I did that, Coretemp shows temp as 0 on both. I have a feeling that unlocking effects the sensors to some extent and, depending on what software you are using, it will react somewhat differently. I wouldn't worry about it at all. As long as MSI shows a comfortable temp you should be fine.

sufe70

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah I'm not worried I have MSI alarm set. I have read a lot of posts all over the web about Overdrive and inconsistant temp readings(even on locked CPU's) Who also report normal temps from other OC and monitor software.
Any experts with a in depth reasoning behind this?

sufe70

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Found this on another site.
"For those who can unlock and pass any stability test you can throw at the computer, congratulations. However, you may have already noticed that you can no longer monitor your cpu core temperatures. Fortunately, most motherboards have a cpu temperature sensor located in the cpu socket area. It is up to you to find out how closely this temperature reading relates to the actual cpu core temperatures. "

So you are correct flyinfinni according to this statement.TY.

Yeah, as others have said, unlocking the cores typically messes with the thermal senor, i forget the reason why it does though.

overall nothing to really worry about. As long as the cpu wasn't overheating before the unlocking, and still have the motherboard able to tell the overall cpu temp, should all be fine.

acidstorm

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I recently unlocked my x2 555 BE to x4 B55 and I knew I would lose my per core temp readings. But, before I did unlock my CPU I ran temp tests using everest it said I was running lower on core temps then overall CPU temp by about 7c to 8c less.

I do not know how accurate it is, but if that stays the same when unlocked my overall should be an indicator that my cores are not running higher than the overall cpu temp since that still works with all 4 cores unlocked.

It would be nice if there was some way to get those per core temp readings back, just incase you do have 1 core that is running higher than the others.

But after hours of gaming 3D rendering and prime 95 burn-in even on my stock cooling I never got higher than 65C. And it only breaks 55C when using prime 95. During normal gaming it barely hits 50 to 52C.

I would however like to get an aftermarket cooler to be on the safe side though since I can't really tell exactly how hot each core is getting.

That is one reason why I have not OC'd this CPU since it's on a stock phenom II cooler. I have hit 3.8 ghz with 2 cores active with just a slight v-core bump. I'm sure I could get to 3.6 to 3.8 with 4 cores active with an aftermarket cooler, although I can't really see the need for it since this CPU absolutely crushes my old 64 x2 4200+ I was using!

I replaced an old HP a1710n Mobo a friend gave me with the MSI 870-g45 and also purchased this CPU and 2GB of crucial 1600 DDR3 RAM. for around 200 bucks it was a HUGE upgrade! no more bottleneck on my HD4870 and my FPS literally more than doubled. Granted the old motherboard was only PCI-E x16 1.0 and the cpu and hypertransport speed were seriously holding it back, I was still shocked to see such a huge FPS increase with the upgrades. Best 200 I ever spent on a PC!