i'm building a gaming pc and i am planing to use nvidia 3d vision kit
but some games as i was told does not work with th 62-bit
so what to chose ..this is my pc:
1- i7 950
2- 12 gb ram
3- gtx 480
4- asus X58 motherboard

Solution
I would go 64 -bit. Thats the direction things are headed. Sure there are some things that don't run in 64 bit (most actually still run in 32) but with Win 7, you can run most things in 32bit without any problems. I've yet to find something that didn't run on my 64bit win 7. Also- you have 12 GB RAM. with 32bit you'll only be able to use a little under 3 GB of that, wasting the other 9GB+. 64 is the only way to go with that system.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I would go 64 -bit. Thats the direction things are headed. Sure there are some things that don't run in 64 bit (most actually still run in 32) but with Win 7, you can run most things in 32bit without any problems. I've yet to find something that didn't run on my 64bit win 7. Also- you have 12 GB RAM. with 32bit you'll only be able to use a little under 3 GB of that, wasting the other 9GB+. 64 is the only way to go with that system.

Solution

+1

What you're really asking here is if you should waste 3/4 of your RAM by going with a 32-bit OS. :)

It would be absolute insanity to use a 32-bit OS on a system with 12GB of RAM.

with this powerful of a machine, anything that would have to be run in 32bit windows (either compatibility or 16 bit apps) would run just fine in a virtual machine, that way if you need to use an app just fire up the VM and not restart the computer

i prefer virtualbox as it has a seamless mode as well, though mostly because i also run linux and virtualbox is cross platform

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Yeah the rebooting is a downside. I like the redundancy of having another OS harddrive to boot from in case the primary Hardrive OS goes bad. I think with Virtual machine if your main boot drive goes bad you can't boot the virtual OS.

With 12GB of RAM, you have no choice but to go 64 bit.