So, I've completely messed up. Need help quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I'll try keep this short.

Had a dual boot, XP and windows 7. I messed around a while back now and got to the point I couldn't boot into either after changing the letter of the boot drive. Had to re-format and install XP onto a partition (D) that it was installed on originally. Windows 7 is still on (C), all the files are there, but no matter what I do I can't force it to boot into 7 now OR give me the option to dual boot.

Any idea how to change the setting in XP to allow me to boot into 7?

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

Just adding - the partition I want to boot is listed as a system drive in disk management - nothing I do will let me swap the boot drives or even have both bootable. Before I could pick my OS. The problem was I changed the letter and swapped them thinking it would force it to boot into XP, when I couldn't boot into any so I had to re-format and re-install XP. Surely it would be a easy fix and a case of having boot.ini added or something?

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Found that already.

Thing is I already have Windows 7 ''Installed'' on another partition, it's just not bootable. I have no idea where the disk is either since moving otherwise i'd just bite the bullet and re-format and re-install. I have no option in the BOOT.INI system configuration utility to select windows 7, it's completely disappeared as a option.

I have all the windows 7 folders/system folders on C. Because use I changed the boot drive letter I had to re-install XP because it kept trying to boot into XP which failed and gave me the NTDLL error even booting from disc and wouldn't give me the option for 7. So now I have a clean XP install and windows 7 on a drive which isn't bootable.

Status
Not open for further replies.