Sign in with
Your question

Fan Controller Problem

Last response: in Overclocking
September 20, 2012 12:16:16 AM

Here's my little problem ._.
I brought a pair of these -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Each came with its own individual fan controller.
Here's what I did.
I mounted both fans to the front of my Haf-912 case.
Installed both fan controllers to the back PCI external slot.
I routed the 3 pin connector through the back, and connected it to the receiving connector on the fan controller.
I plug the fan molex connector coming out of the fan controller, and into my Corsair TX 650 PSU's molex connector.
I turn on the PC.
I noticed that both fans were running quite slow in terms of RPM even with the knob turned all the way to high.
Then I connected the fans directly on to the PSU.
The fans ran at least 3x faster when connected directly to the psu, but the sound increased by even more :kaola: 
The problem is... The fan controllers are decreasing my current. I just want to use the fan controllers so that it goes through the full spectrum of performance my fans can achieve. I'm like the controllers are all the way to high, but the damn thing is only 25% what it is capable of :fou: 

More about : fan controller problem

a c 190 K Overclocking
September 20, 2012 1:33:46 AM

Are there any settings in your bios for sys_fan and cha_fan?
Make sure they are set to maximum so you get full voltage through and can use the controller as intended,
If they are limiting it then the fans will never get full speed
**edit, sorry I thought you had them plugged into the mobo, not the Psu
Moto
m
l
September 20, 2012 1:37:09 AM

The controllers are limiting it?

I could connect them to the motherboard. The lines are too short. Need an extension.
I'm running a Asrock Pro3 Z75 with UEFI Bios i think

It doesn't make sense that the controllers rosewill provided are designed to limit the very fans they came with :/ 

I connected the PSU to the fan controller, and then the controller to the fan. Isn't that the right way to connect them? I don't understand why the controllers are bottle necking my fan's RPM by more than half in this setup even with the knob turned all the way to high. Please help :( 
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2012 2:59:24 AM

I found my problem! I've just changed the power the controller was on. Apparently a cable was defective, and is only delivering below average power. I have 2 cables coming of my PSU that supplies power to case fans, and I just changed them from one to another. The other ones works fine. Wow. It was a Corsair PSU just 2 weeks old :/ 
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 20, 2012 3:37:10 AM

If one line isn't up to spec, its a fair bet you can rma it for a good unit, I run a corsair myself but would not hesitate to return a faulty psu
Glad you got it sorted though man,
Moto
m
l
!