kaliber187

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
H peeps,

Was just wondering if a faulty motherboard could cause any issues when trying to play large files such as 20gb - 50gb MKV files.

Basically I have a home built HTPC Which struggles to play MKV files and have done everything possable to get it to work. I also have a laptop which is not as powerful as my htpc yet its plays the files fine.

Could this be something to do with the motherboard not communicating with the graphics card?

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
nop, processor is the only (bottleneck) thing here.

what player do you use? system specs? ram?

considering file size, must be 1080p, cuz 720 is cream for alot of processors or low end pc's.

kaliber187

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Asus M4A78 HTPC
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 CPU
4GB Corsair Dominator 2x2
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5670 (bought after because i thought the intergrated GPU on the motherboard might not have been good enough)
600W PSU

Ive tried using VLC, Mplayer, Media Classic, Divx, Xbmc you name it ive tried. Also All the codec like cccp.

Yes they are 1080p but not worth watching at the moment cause it struggles to play them.

Arrrrrrrrr.

kaliber187

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I have 2 x 1TB WD caviar green 1 x 2TB WD caviar green 1 x 2TB Seagate barracuda and 1 x 320GB Seagate barracuda for operating system in which ive tried xp and 7

I have tried putting windows on verious hdd's to see if that helped but still no joy. What do you think?

Wow! i was just curious about the hdd's.
I'm no expert in this field by any means but i suspect it will be a source code issue.
Also the files themselves may not be converted properly as i'm assuming alot of them are from torrent sources.
The file is only as good as the source.
Mkv files are Matroska codec if you have too many different players and source codecs installed i believe this is creating a conflict.
Here's a good read and i hope it can resolve your issue.
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_mkv.cfm
Cheers!:)

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Your specs are modest :p

VLC should be able to crunch them, but why not is the question? Have you switched on the gpu rendering from options?, if yes try turning it off, or if not, try turning it on.