2 modems, different speeds when p2p

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I've noticed that when I use my other modem ADSL+router, I get slower speeds when doing p2p downloading.

When I use the other modem which is just a regular DSL modem, the speed is faster, but after about a certain point it always disconnects

Is the problem due to the router of the first modem? How can I configure it so I get better speeds? Regarding my second modem, is there a way to make it so it doesn't disconnect? I updated the firmware, but it still does the same thing.

I'm using a 6Mbit downstream and 768kb upstream.

I was getting 550Kilobytes downstream a month ago withotu disconnects on my regular modem. But now it disconnects.

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Based on this information I'm gonna say the modem is of poor design. The modem/router one seems to work fine, but you will need to open ports for P2P software to work at the correct speeds.

If you know the model number of the router www.portforward.com should offer a detailed instruction set on how to do it, if it's not an off brand =)

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Hi Scaye,

Thanks for the reply. My first modem (one that is just a modem, without router) is a Siemens speedstream 4100

The second modem that is modem + router is a Westell. Says the Style is MSTATEA. I got it from at&t.

What exactly and port forwarding?

My first modem has been in use for three years now and it hasn't showed any issue before.

If my ports aren't open will my speeds suffer or will downloads be unavailable all together? Right now My speeds are just suffering. Anyways I'm going to go look over that site you listed. I'm not too familiar with all this port forwarding stuff so I'll just tinker around with it for now. Thanks.