Is CPU Boost Software a good alternative for Overclocking?

clairvoyant christopher

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Is CPU Boost Software a good alternative for Overclocking?
I've noticed that the speed of my computer has increased by using different CPU booster software. The Software that I'm using is: System Speed Wizard, iTopsoft PC Speeduper, Wlording Speedup PC, PC Boost 4, Optimum XP, Resource Optimizer, Process Tamer and PC Speed Pro. When I checked my CPU clock speed through Intel Processor ID Utility, my CPU was 2.79 instead of 2.67 Ghz. I've noticed that my games play 50% faster & I can surf the internet at least 50% faster! So my question is: Does traditional Overclocking of the CPU work better? And has anybody ever tried the same software that I listed?

I don't think the boosting software is what's making your computer faster or run at 2.79GHz. I'm just supposing you have an Intel Core i7 920, and with the Core i7 900 series, it has a Turbo Boost of 133MHz - thus your CPU's max speed is listed at 2.79, i.e., the max frequency it can reach with Turbo Boost. As for games - that's mainly based on the graphics card, but really, the way CPU boosting software helps is by just cleaning up Windows, e.g. cleaning the registry and defragmenting the disk.
Traditional overclocking you can have a much higher than 133MHz boost - with the i7™ 920 most, if not all, can get a 1GHz overclock on it.

clairvoyant christopher

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

I do have a i7 920

Actully, the core i7 920 with can give 2 bins of 133MHZ boost. that gives a max of 2.9Ghz or more detail 2933 MHz from 2.66Ghz/ 2667Mhz. although thats when only 1 core is needed. when 2 or more cores are in turbo, they can only run 2.8GHz

Although the rest of what lmeow wrote is correct.