Windows xp repair install keeps restarting

shrineking

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Ok so to start my explanation I will say this. I had windows Xp already running on a old computer but the mother board was going bad and causing glitchs to random ports on the board. So I bought an entire new setup minus the hard drives and a Dvd drive that i moved into the new computer. After this I was able to start windows and go all the way in but my mouse and keyboard were not working.

The computer did detect the keyboard and mouse and went to install new hard ware but nothing would work.

I then tried to run a windows xp repair. The way I did this was:
1. Put windows install disk in drive and start the computer to boot from the disc. Yes i did change my setting to boot from disc first.

2. Hit enter at the prompt to install windows and then Hit R for my C: to repair any damaged files.

3. The repair install goes through its stepsand asks for the CD key which I type in and it takes the key and continues.

Now the problem is this:

At about 17 minutes left while it is running through the finishing touches the computer reboots. As it boots back up I do not hit anything and it starts windows but says it is restarting the repair installation. After that is just goes through the exact same steps again and at 17 minutes i reboots.

I looked up some previous solutions even though they are slight different but this is not a 3 times run though and its good thing. I am presently on my 5th run though with no hope that it will stop. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. I wish I could post some things to help make this more clear but I am typing this on my laptop since my actual PC is on the frits.

Also I know it is most likely possible that I could just reinstall everything from scratch but would prefer not to do that for some programs I have I lost the disc to :(

shrineking

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Ok just wanted to post a slight update. It now goes through up to the registering components and as soon as it loads these components is when it reboots. So i do watch the timer go down to 1 min and then it kicks and redoes everything. I hope this made sense.