davhamm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Ok, in the middle of a pc build AMD Phenom II x3 chip, with stock Heat sink... I did not remove a peal off from the heat sink. There was a big semi rigid plastic cover over the base of the heat sink and thermal paste, but was there a peal off cover on the thermal paste? I don't remember seeing one and the heat sink seems stuck on but now I am concerned.

davhamm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Not sure I follow. The heatsink is attached. I took the big plastic cover off, (which covered the thermal paste and bottom of heat sink) before I installed. So now the chip and heatsink are installed in the motherboard. When I losen the heat shield sink the heatsink will rotate just a bit but will not pull up. I do not have any thermal paste so If its intalled correctly I would prefer to leave it. If someone knows its not I will keep rotating till I can pull free (then remove the peal off sticker on the paste assuming there is one, and reinstall) If there isn't a cover and I remove I am dead in the water until I get some thermal paste..

Does this make any sense?

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Thermal grease is liquidish, it isn't supposed to stick. If there is a sticker it will melt and cause problems as the thermal grease isn't tranfering heat between the CPU and heatsink. Any PC parts store in the area should carry Artic Silver 5 thermal grease that isn't too expensive but is the best in my opinion as it uses silver as the metal instead of cheap aluminum.

If you did not remove the plastic label that says to remove before use then you'll need to remove the heatsink and clean things up (the plastic is probably stuck to the CPU by now if you turned it on so may take some work to get it all off ! - Leaving it there is not a good idea as the plastic will keep the thermal paste from filling the surface of the CPU and thus you'll not get good cooling.

davhamm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Ok, so I just worked it off,.... NO STICKER.... so can I just reapply.. or do I need to go get some more thermal paste... Paste was spread thinly over the chip and the heatsink still.