My current setup:
C2Q 9400
EVGA 790i FTW 3-way SLI mobo
EVGA 9800GTX+ in 3-way SLI
Patriot Viper DDR3 2x2gb
LG standard DVDRW
Maxtor 500gb HDDx2
ANTEC TruePower Quattro 1000W

I have been looking at the new 5870's from ATI, I was impressed. further more if I decided to go with ATI I would switch to AMD Phenom II 955BE.

My question is would it be more effective to stay with my current setup and upgrade my GPU's to GTX280's?

what i was looking at was this:

Phenom II 955BE
Radeon 5870(possibly in crossfire)
ASUS Crosshair Formula III

I would then just use my current PSU, HDD's, and optical drive.

any input is helpful thank you.

You don't have to switch to AMD to use the HD 5870. And right now, nothing beats it. I would just stick it in your current computer. No reason to spend the extra $400 that's not needed.

Also, Crossfiring 5870s is just stupid. The cost of that would be $800. The HD 5970 is essentially two 5870s Crossfired on one board for $650-700. The only difference is that the 5970 has downclocked the GPUs slightly, which can easily be undone. Also, the 5970 will only take up one slot, making it even more future proof, not that you should ever need to Crossfire 5970s...

@rodney: Fair enough, but I assumed it was a big case if the OP already had 3 GPUs in it. That'd be a little risky in a smaller case.

The 5870 is a good choice. To tack on another question, what resolution are you trying to use? Did you have 3 cards for multiple monitors?

p3rpetual_22

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I am running this all in a Thermaltake V9BE

as for games:

MW2 maxed @~40fps
L4D2 maxed @~50fps
and Source mods are all maxed @~90fps

this is not to catch up to games but to stay ahead as I enjoy games @ or above 80Fps

Just checking...

I would wait until either DirectX 11 becomes useful or you're not running newer games at playable speeds (i.e. 30 FPS). By then, Fermi should be out, and either they'll be better cards (which isn't the indication) or they'll be some kind of competition for the 5xxx series to be cheaper. Either way, you get a better card or a cheaper price.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
@MadAdmiral... he didn't mention his case by name... so I assume the worst. I did notice the 3 GPUs, but I can picture a lot of older full size cases (like a TT Armor) that definitely have the height, but still might (or might not!) be able to accommodate the length of the newer cards. Video cards pushing 13 inches weren't really considered when some previous-gen cases were designed.

p3rpetual_22

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
i was not going to get the 5970 i was going to pick up the 5870 and my case right now with the 9800gtx's in it is a little tight enough room for the psu cables to run between the back of the cards and the drive bays with a little airflow i was looking at the raven 2 as it look to have more manageable room

although its 90* so i have no idea what space is actually usable for gpu space i will head to frys today with measuring tape in hand

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
@ MadAdmiral: Maximum GPU length is an EXCELLENT idea for a field in the product descriptions at NewEgg. Hell, take it one step further... if you order a case and a GPU, do a basic compatibility check for the buyer and warn them if they appear to be doing something silly.