Primary/secondary IDE master

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I don't think I've seen anything on here about this question, I'm sorry if I missed it and started a new one.
Question: With a SATA DVD burner and 2 IDE drives, can I run primary/secondary masters?
if so would it be more efficient than primary master/slave that I run now.
setup: SAmsung SATA burner, WD Cavier 120gb 7200rpm (OS) Seagate Barracuda 7200(storage)
Abit NF-95 MB

I know that running a sata HD would be the best idea, but funds haven't been made available for it yet.
And Yeah I know the NF-95 is anceint as well. I was just wondering if using both IDE ports would
speed up read write just a bit or not.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
For the most part it won't make a difference. The only time it would matter is if you are doing disk to disk copy. Reading a game file off a disk won't have any differences same as saving a file. But IDE can only read/write to one drive at a time. So if you copy from one disk to another it will be faster if each drive was a master on a different channel.
"can I run primary/secondary masters? " Sure.

"if so would it be more efficient than primary master/slave that I run now. " Maybe.

"Would it be noticeably faster?" Maybe.

It will not cost you much (the price of another IDE cable) to find out.

4745454b

Titan
For the most part it won't make a difference. The only time it would matter is if you are doing disk to disk copy. Reading a game file off a disk won't have any differences same as saving a file. But IDE can only read/write to one drive at a time. So if you copy from one disk to another it will be faster if each drive was a master on a different channel.

Solution

hitechgowthaman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
in ide cable connection for 2 drives, (0)ide Mobo connector»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» (2)secondary connector»»»»»»»»»(1)primary connector.u can also set in hdd using a small connector at back.
if using 1 drive u can fit hdd in (1,2) mobo detect it is primary,

cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I forgot to add that both drives are 120gb, the only difference is the WD is 8mb buffer and the seagate is 2mb. I'm gonna give it a try this weekend and report my findings.

Thanks to all for the speedy replies.

cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Report: SOLVED
I set my OS drive to IDE 1 and Storage drive to IDE 2. I've noticed some boot up improvement and drive to drive copying has vastly improved. It seems like my games and apps load a smidgen faster as well.
Over all it has had a slight but acceptable improvement so I'll leave it like it is until I can get a SATA drive.

Thanks for the help.

4745454b

Titan
drive to drive copying has vastly improved.

The only time it would matter is if you are doing disk to disk copy.

Nice to know I was partially right at least. As I said each IDE channel can only access one disk at a time. So reading from one drive needs to stop if its going to write to another drive on the same channel. I'm not surprised at all that this has "vastly improved". A bit surprised that you've seen noticeable/measurable increases in game loading as this shouldn't have mattered. Any clue by how much its better?

edited for spelling.

cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
It may be wishful thinking, but it seems like my games load about 25% faster not having the second drive on that channel. I just notice that it doesn't take them as long to start now. I would have to revert and time them to get a more accurate time.

4745454b

Titan
Just having a second drive sitting on the same channel shouldn't matter. It would have a long time ago but we finally developed Independent Drive Timing. This stopped harddrives from moving as fast as a CDrom simply because the rom was on the same channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.