Sata iii ssd needs a sata iii motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dao95

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Does a SATA III ssd need a SATA III motherboard to perform up to its potential?

I have a SATA II motherboard and a Corsair Force GT 90 GB SSD with read speeds of 555 MB/s. Will the motherboard slow things down?

Solution
First, The SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd performance will be reduced to SATA 2 3Gb/s levels. That is very well documented.

Second, forget about synthetic benchmarks. Actual solid state drive performance will be less than published specifications and benchmarks for a variety of technical reasons. That too is well document. On top of that different benchmarks produce different results that do not reflect real world performance.

Third, the calculations are incorrect. It is Gigabits per second not Gigabytes per second. World of difference. You also need to factor in the 8b/10b encoding overhead. The theoretical maximum data transmission rate for SATA 2 3Gb/s is 300MB/s. The theoretical maximum data transmission rate for SATA 3 6Gb/s is 600MB/s. The...

cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

To my knowledge SATA II is 3.0 gbps and SATA III is 6.0 gbps. If the board is sata II and the drive is sata III, you will most likely only be getting 3.0 because that is the speed limit of the sata bus on the board. I believe there are PCIE controller cards that will give you the 6.0 speed that you want.
Here's a link to one I found at amazon to give you an idea.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-Express-Controller-PEXSAT32/dp/B003GS8VA4

Hope this helps

dao95

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I wanted to know if the ssd drive with read speed of 555 MB/s would be slowed down by being forced to run at sata2 speeds,, 3 GB/s.

My ssd runs at 555 MB/s which is 0.555 GB/s. That is nowhere near 3 GB/s that my motherboard's sata 2 interface runs at. My ssd should work fine on a sata 2 motherboard. or even a sata 1 motherboard. Am I missing something.

First, The SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd performance will be reduced to SATA 2 3Gb/s levels. That is very well documented.

Second, forget about synthetic benchmarks. Actual solid state drive performance will be less than published specifications and benchmarks for a variety of technical reasons. That too is well document. On top of that different benchmarks produce different results that do not reflect real world performance.

Third, the calculations are incorrect. It is Gigabits per second not Gigabytes per second. World of difference. You also need to factor in the 8b/10b encoding overhead. The theoretical maximum data transmission rate for SATA 2 3Gb/s is 300MB/s. The theoretical maximum data transmission rate for SATA 3 6Gb/s is 600MB/s. The theoretical maximum is commonly referred to as the burst rate. It is almost never achieved and anything close to it can only be maintained for a very very brief moment.

Fourth, the real world performance difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3 ssd's is almost negligible. Typical users normally can't tell the difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3. A user would have to use a benchmark to measure the difference.

Solution

cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I agree with Johnny, and as I said you can use a controller card to run 6.0. That will at least double the rate from 3.0 to 6.0. He is right as to performance, benchmarks are sporadic at best.
It will run yes, but only at the speed of the sata 2 bus on the board and no faster.

It's like connecting a fire hose to a sink faucet, the fire hose will handle more water pressure than the sink faucet can produce.

That's as simple a way as I can explain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.