Pricing on 6 X 4GB vs. Two Sets of 3 X 4GB

computer_idiot

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Okay, I asked this question of Newegg and the response I received was incoherent and didn't attempt to answer the question. Is there a reason that 6 x 4GB of RAM would cost more than 2x the cost of two sets of 3 x 4GB for the exact same brand/modules? Is there some kind of set-up/performance difference that I don't understand?

(the 6 x 4GB at $689.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231357
(the 3 x 4GB at $259.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231356

I don't get it. What am I missing? (I suspect I'm asking a stupid question)

**I know that the second link says they are sold out, but they were available in quantity last week and the pricing relationship was still the same as above.

Solution

Yes - he knows that what he is asking is why the 24GB kit is $689 when 2 of the 12GB kits are only $620 !!! when they are the exact same modules !!

And both kits are triple channel kits (though dual and triple channel is handled by the MOBO and memory controller and has nothing to do with the RAM modules so wouldn't make a difference anyway !!)

To answer the question the only difference in the 2x12GB kits and the 1x24GB kit is that it is possible that the 2x12GB kits could come from 2 seperate production runs and this at times can cause problems while the 1x24GB kit has all been verified to work together (though...

Yes - he knows that what he is asking is why the 24GB kit is $689 when 2 of the 12GB kits are only $620 !!! when they are the exact same modules !!

And both kits are triple channel kits (though dual and triple channel is handled by the MOBO and memory controller and has nothing to do with the RAM modules so wouldn't make a difference anyway !!)

To answer the question the only difference in the 2x12GB kits and the 1x24GB kit is that it is possible that the 2x12GB kits could come from 2 seperate production runs and this at times can cause problems while the 1x24GB kit has all been verified to work together (though normally not a problem since you are dealing with 6 modules from the same company)

Another thing is the 12GB kits are sold out so that may be an old price that has not been adjusted since the DDR3 RAM prices have been increasing and by the time they get a new order the pricing may have changed !!

Solution

I'd go with the 2x12GB since chances are they would work together fine and it is definitely not worth $60+ for someone to verify it for me !! -- besides the MOBO has 2 seperate triple channel connections for using the 6 modules so even if there are slight differences from being from different productions as long as they meet the specs there should never be a problem of them not working together and if they do not meet the spec then that is what warranties are for !

Besides another advantage to ordering the 2x12GB kit is if 1 module of the 6 is bad for some reason you can still use the system with 12GB while waiting for an RMA but if you get the 1x24GB and 1 Module is bad you have to return the entire 24GB so can't use the system until the RMA is completed !!