Building a computer

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Desktops
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2010 6:38:14 PM

Hello! We are looking at building a computer. We have a desktop computer with these Items that we can use:

Operating System:Microsoft Windows XP
Processor: Intel Pentium 4CPU 2.66GHz
Memory: 1055MB RAM

We want a desktop that we can game on. The only online game we play is World of Warcraft. The other games we like are the Empire Total War series, Battlefield and such. This would be the first computer that we have put together so we would like to use whatever we can of this one as a base and then go from there. Essentially a major upgrade. What video card would be the best? Any advice hints or tips?

More about : building computer

Best solution

January 26, 2010 6:43:20 PM

You shouldn't use any of those. Well, maybe XP.

You might want to give us at least a budget. Check out the link in my signature for a number of things we need to know before we start building.

Assuming you have a budget of about $1,000:

CPU: Phenom II X4 955 $165
Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO $110 after rebate
RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x2 GB DDR3 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $110
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB $55
Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner $24
Case: HAF 922 $90
PSU: SeaSonic 850W Silver $110
GPU: HD 5850 $300

Total: $965
January 27, 2010 3:24:22 AM

I cant believe I didn't put that. Sorry. We do have about 1000 for the computer. I do have a stupid question though...We cant use the case that we already have with the dell comp? We also have an old alienware, wold we be able to use that case? Also, the video card you listed, will that last us quite a while or is it bare minimum for the games we wanted? Thank you!
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2010 10:26:16 AM

Dell uses a lot of proprietary parts, so you may not be able to. You'll need to check online about the specific case in question. I would just go with a new case to be honest. It doesn't set you back that much, and that's one of the best available.

The 5850 is third best card on the market right now. It will play every game at high settings at a 1900x resolution. The exception to that is Crysis, which might cause a little slow down for on the 5850. In addition, the board I listed and the PSU will be great for Crossfire (using 2 cards as one) down the road, and the 5850 is a great card to use. Short of spending $650, this is easily the best price to performance cards out there.
m
l
January 27, 2010 5:33:13 PM

Man, you have made us feel so much more at ease! Now all we have to do is get the parts and get to building. Thank you! Do you have any websites that you recommend for parts?
m
l
January 27, 2010 5:45:19 PM

If you're in the US, Newegg.com. By far the best for researching, and is typically the cheapest. Excellent combo deals.
m
l
February 3, 2010 6:18:10 PM

Best answer selected by mac0532.
m
l