Files and settings transfer wizard

graham_77

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I have googled the instructions to get Files and Settings transfer wizard to move from my old XP to a better XP machine. When following the directions and I go to Systems Tools and then click on the Wizard but the computer tells me that it cannot find the wizard. Can I download a wizard and from where??
thanks
Graham

Solution

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Go from Start to Run and into the box, type migwiz.exe then press Enter. That should track down the Migration Wizard and start the utility running but if it doesn't, open Windows Explorer, go to C:\Windows\System32 and find the file then double click it.

Is this happening in the old system or the new?

Before running the Wizard, it's best to check that both systems are up to the same update standard. If one has Service Pack 2 and the other has SP3, the process will fail.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Go from Start to Run and into the box, type migwiz.exe then press Enter. That should track down the Migration Wizard and start the utility running but if it doesn't, open Windows Explorer, go to C:\Windows\System32 and find the file then double click it.

Is this happening in the old system or the new?

Before running the Wizard, it's best to check that both systems are up to the same update standard. If one has Service Pack 2 and the other has SP3, the process will fail.

Solution

graham_77

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Hi Saga,
I tried both to get a back up from the old computer and neither worked. The old computer is XP service pack 2 and the new computer is XP sp3.The poor old computer has hardware problems and no replacement parts available. I am not into games or videos but do a few hours browsing on job and investment sites daily so the new computer will be fine.
I am thinking of doing a back up from the new computer to the old to bring the old up to date and then backing up the old with the extra bits from the new to then get all my data into the new. Does this make sense and can it work?
Cheers
Graham

To carry out manually what the FAST or Migwiz would do, all you need from the old system is the entire contents of the individual account name folders inC:\Documents and Settings. You need to go into Tools>Folder Options>View to tick to open up the hidden files and folders and tick to unhide protected system files so that you cna see and copy all the Application Data folders and Local Settings>Application Data folders.

That way, you get Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos along with all the details of how the programmes work. It won't copy programmes but if you reinstall those you had, you may find saved settings with some details like game scores will appear.

It usually helps in that if you go into C:\Windows\Syetsm32\Config and copy Software into the same folder in the new system. That's the Registry hive controlling software but in your case with the old system running only SP2, it may cause conflicts so make sure you save the new system's Software file before overwriting it. Call it Software.old and leave it in the correct folder.

TRENDING THREADS