Sign in with
Your question
Solved

LGA 1156 Faulty Sockets

Last response: in Motherboards
August 26, 2010 7:48:08 PM

I remember reading about there being a problem with pin contact on the Foxconn sockets when the P55 boards first came out. I remember reading that this applies mostly to extreme overclockers, but I would imagine even a moderate overclock wouldn't be too good over time (I've had my 530 pushed up to 1.4 Vcore). My problem is this- I bought an Asrock P55 Extreme board in January, and it had the Lotes socket so I wasn't worried about it. It worked great until it blew up a couple of weeks ago. I RMA'd it and they sent me a recertified board. This one looks like it has seen some use, it is bowed pretty bad, and it has a Foxconn socket (the coaxial port on the back was nearly pulled off of the board when I got it also, but that's irrelevant). I'd imagine it could possibly be one of the first boards since it is recertified, so is there any way to check if this is one of the problem sockets? My i3 already has the pin dimples on all of the pads so I can't just pop it in and see if it makes contact. Asrock sucks, they sent me a crappy board and they probably won't replace it if it dies. stay away from them. They are NOT the same as Asus no matter what anyone says.
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2010 7:58:22 PM

Andon48 said:
Asrock sucks, they sent me a crappy board and they probably won't replace it if it dies. stay away from them. They are NOT the same as Asus no matter what anyone says.

They are not anymore. A company (I think called Pegasus) bought ASRock from ASUS around a year ago.
m
l
August 26, 2010 8:04:57 PM

Really? That's kind of funny because half of the reviews on Newegg state the only reason they took a chance on Asrock is because they're owned by Asus. I guess nobody really heard about it.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2010 8:07:29 PM

It was spun off completely independent of Asustek under the name Pegatron effective last month. They have been in the process since last December.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/14/asustek-to-spin-off-...

The majority of the reviews on newegg are based on ignorance. Most of those people did no research and chose things because some friend said something about brand x a few months ago, or because the picture looked good. Almost half the reviews dont have the blue "bought this from newegg" line on them because they cant find the exact model they bought to write the review on.
August 26, 2010 8:16:11 PM

I agree, you should have to take some sort of a test to be able to say you have a high tech level lol.
m
l
October 13, 2010 5:52:09 PM

Best answer selected by Andon48.
m
l
!