Sign in with
Your question

Boot Fail

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2010 8:02:31 PM

Hi all, ive got a bit of a weird problem at the moment, here are my specs to start with;

Core 2 Duo E8500
Asus Maximus Formula
ATI 4850X2 2GB
2x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
60GB OCZ Vertex SSD (boot drive)
2x WD Storage Drives
Asus Xonar DX Soundcard
Coolermaster 750W PSU

So yeah basically i boot my PC everything spins up fine all green lights on MOBO, it posts and goes through the various boot screens, then the windows 7 logo appears and does its thing then i get a clicking sound once and my USB devices go off, it clicks again and then resets. For a split second i see a BSOD which might be a mem dump but im not sure.

Ive been using the PC fine for months without any issues, i havent installed anything new lately. Ive tried ram in various combos and im fairly sure its not that, ive reseated the CPU and checked all connections on the MOBO. Im pretty much at a loss at this point i cant work out what it is thats not working, perhaps a MOBO failure? Any help would be appreciated.

[edit] Just put my W7 disk in and booted from it loaded up and just exited itself, hang at the windows logo again and i got a BSOD that said 'memory management' and it just hang there until i manually restarted. I got into startup repair now and it says my boot drive is F: it should be C:. I try and repair it and get a message from StartRep.exe saying 'the instruction at 0xfaca3ac6 referenced memory at 0x02c66ce0. The memory could not be written.' I really dont know whats going on here. [/edit]

More about : boot fail

January 26, 2010 9:18:18 PM

I got into startup repair now and it says my boot drive is F: it should be C:. I try and repair it and get a message from StartRep.exe saying 'the instruction at 0xfaca3ac6 referenced memory at 0x02c66ce0. The memory could not be written.' if thats any help.
January 27, 2010 12:58:25 AM

What USB devices do you have? List it all. All usb devices that you attached on your pc.

Overloaded USB port/s are known to crash Desktop of Notebooks.

Related resources
January 27, 2010 10:01:32 AM

I unplugged everything before i restarted and it still the same so i dont think its a USB issue. Im probably just gonna reinstall windows and see how i get on.
January 27, 2010 12:17:58 PM

Hmmmm page memory error possibly? Can you turn off your page file and see if that doesn't clear up the issue? If it does clear up, check to see that you have the latest drivers available for your drive I/O controllers, or just continue to run with your virtual memory turned off. The other issue could be that you actually have a bad stick of memory. It would probably be worth your while to run extended tests with memtest95.
!