Sign in with
Your question

System Image Backup on Internal HDD

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2012 10:11:25 AM

I have my system image backups saved to a HDD partition. The hard drive doesn't show up when/if I need to use my system image backup. For example, windows will use the recovery utility and ask if I want to use a system image, only none of my hard drives show up. Not even the partition I'm using to store my backups.

Is there some setting or something I have to set the hard drive at?
a c 379 G Storage
January 24, 2012 10:47:10 AM

It sounds like your program can't read hidden partitions, which is common. Are you sure your software isn't backing up to a recovery partition that needs accessed at boot time? Which backup software are you using?
m
l
January 24, 2012 12:08:56 PM

just using the regular windows 7 backup program. Not sure what you mean by needing access at boot time. There is nothing on that partition except the backup files.
m
l
a c 379 G Storage
January 24, 2012 2:53:28 PM

Ah, some backup software creates a hidden recovery partition that can only be accessed at boot time by pressing a key (like F6). I've never used the win 7 backup. It sounds like either win7 expects the restore image to be on an external or network drive or else possibly the image can't be located on the OS drive.

You said you have it in a separate partition, so I'm not sure why it can't see that as a recovery option. I'll check around when I have a little more free time and get back to you if I find anything. In the meantime, maybe someone else will have an answer for you.
m
l
!