xp prof user profile size?

beemer

I am a single user of a computer running XP prof. I have an
"Administrator" profile (me) size is 780MB

and a
"Beemer" (administrator) profile (also me) size is 256kB

Why would a profile be as large as 780MB?

Beemer

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:55:33 +0100, Beemer wrote:

> I am a single user of a computer running XP prof. I have an
> "Administrator" profile (me) size is 780MB
>
> and a
> "Beemer" (administrator) profile (also me) size is 256kB
>
> Why would a profile be as large as 780MB?
>
> Beemer

What kind of things are stored in the larger profile? By default, there is
My Documents for that profile, email message stores, desktop items, various
"appdata" collections for installed programs, etc. Some of these things can
be redirected to other locations: My Documents, My Pictures, email message
stores for Outlook and Outlook Express.

I redirect a lot of these things and still have a profile that is over 1GB.
This is a 3 year old installation and there is quite a large collection of
data and program settings maintained in the account's folders.

256kb is quite small for an active account. An account on my system that is
rarely used shows about 3MB of data in Properties for the account's main
folder.

To check what profile you're using while logged on, click Start> Run and
type in %userprofile%. Windows Explorer will appear showing the account's
folders.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

beemer

In article <u23otUssEHA.376@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org says...
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:55:33 +0100, Beemer wrote:
>
> > I am a single user of a computer running XP prof. I have an
> > "Administrator" profile (me) size is 780MB
> >
> > and a
> > "Beemer" (administrator) profile (also me) size is 256kB
> >
> > Why would a profile be as large as 780MB?

Sharon,

Sorry I stated the admin size was 780MB when I should have said 780MB
for Beemer. So such a large profile is not a problem. It is mainly "my
documents". However perhaps you would answer this further related
question. If say there were three new user profiles would they all have
access to My documents (meaning Beemer My Documents) even if I had not
set it to share and would this mean each would bloat the total profile
at least 300% ?

Beemer

Beemer wrote:
> Sorry I stated the admin size was 780MB when I should have said 780MB
> for Beemer. So such a large profile is not a problem. It is mainly
> "my documents". However perhaps you would answer this further related
> question. If say there were three new user profiles would they all
> have access to My documents (meaning Beemer My Documents) even if I
> had not set it to share and would this mean each would bloat the
> total profile at least 300% ?

No.
Unless they put more stuff in the My Documents folder themselves..

A true "profile" - at least the part that matters in profile terms - rarely
gets above a few MBs to perhaps a dozen MBs - although that would be a huge
NTUSEER.DAT file and likely many of the files inside the Application Data
and Local Settings folders could be deleted.

Unless you are using roaming profiles - do not be concerned with how large
your "profile" gets. heh

--
<- Shenan ->

Yanni79

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Typically the size of your "profile" is directed by the following 3 items:

1. Temporary Files -
The biggest culprit being Internet Explorer/Firefox "cache" files. You can typically find these under C:\Documents and Settings\profile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (where 'profile' is the name of your profile). (typically between 20mb - 3gigs depending on setup). Also "c:\documents and settings\profile\local settings\temp\" . The files in these folders are typically safe to delete. They will be redownloaded when/if they're needed.

2. Outlook / Outlook Express files.
Typically these files are located in "C:\Documents and Settings\profile\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" and C:\Windows\Application Data\Outlook Express\{GUID} or
C:\Documents and Settings\profile\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. DO NOT DELETE THESE FOLDERS (unless you really know what you're doing). These folders typically contain the locally downloaded e-mails. Instead of deleting these folders, you should be actively backing them up.

3. Local Search
Google Deskop and Microsoft Desktop Search are applications which crawl your computer, and dump all the text and metadata into a searchable database. This database is typically stored in some folder that's buried in your profile. You can usually find the location of that folder by looking at the options of your search application. You can typically safely delete the cache folder, as it will be rebuilt. However this will be a temporary "size" solution, as the application will slowly rebuild the database.

Yanni S.