Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 3570K too hot?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 20, 2012 10:48:20 PM

I recently got a I5 3570K and decided to OC it to 4GHz as i can't see needing anything more for a while. At these speeds though, it reached 90C before i decided that was too hot and stopped testing it. I have not upped the voltages at all. Stock speeds under full load it seems to be reaching high 60's. Are these temperatures normal?

More about : 3570k hot

September 20, 2012 11:08:21 PM

Well, if you're using the stock heatsink, and your case doesn't have a good airflow. Yes, it's normal.
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:42:52 PM

I am using the stock heat sink still... I am thinking of getting a new one though. Also, I undervolted by .125V and kept the OC to 4GHz and it seems to be maxing out around mid-low 60's so i think ill just leave it there. My case does have decent airflow though I believe. How would I tell?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2012 1:24:58 AM

Your temps depend mostly on the heatsink and the room temp. Case ventilation also has a lot to do with it, but if the rooms hot, it's gonna be hot regardless.

You cannot overclock to 4ghz + with a stock heatsink, that should be common sense.

What did you use to test the temps?

If you can undervolt and it's stable, that's a great thing to do to reduce temps.
m
l
September 21, 2012 1:39:00 AM

geekapproved said:
Your temps depend mostly on the heatsink and the room temp. Case ventilation also has a lot to do with it, but if the rooms hot, it's gonna be hot regardless.

You cannot overclock to 4ghz + with a stock heatsink, that should be common sense.

What did you use to test the temps?

If you can undervolt and it's stable, that's a great thing to do to reduce temps.

So if i want to go over 4GHz i NEED a new heatsink? alright. right now 4 seems fast enough for me and if i decide i need more in the future, i can always go and buy one.

Yes i did manage to undervolt and overclock... kind of a weird combo IMO but its totally stable and dropped temps by like 10ish. I used IntelBurnTest to check for stability
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2012 1:59:34 AM

The 90s are too hot yes. Try to keep those torture test load temps down to 80c or less. Normally we don't recommend OCing on the stock heatsink. But if you are going to do it then like you've done already, you'll be wanting to undervolt as much as you can while maintaining stability. Ivy is a pretty good undervolter for ~4ghz or less clockspeed. Also, when you have achieved stability with IBT, run prime95 for a few hours, my Ivy CPU would often pass IBT but crash in prime while OCing (despite IBT returning higher peak temps). There is a small section about undervolting Ivy toward the bottom in this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5763/undervolting-and-ove...
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2012 2:13:59 AM

IBT is good. If your maxing at mid 60's then your fine, I wouldn't even worry about an aftermarket heatsink as long as your happy with 4ghz.

To be honest, you probably don't need to overclock at all unless your running 2 GTX690's or 2 HD7990's.
m
l
September 21, 2012 10:51:08 AM

Best answer selected by werdna87.
m
l
!