I5 750 constant usage

Hi everyone,
I just built my i5 system today and did some minor overclocking.. and put it at 3.33ghz. voltage is around 1.26. I then wanted to see the cpu usage over time so i watched a 1080p movie and saw a max/average around 14%. Later, tonight, I am doing nothing at all and it stays at 25% continuously. Any ideas?

Also, i'm using an aftermarket cooler and with no load (still 25% cpu usage) i am at 44c. I'm kinda confused as i thought idle temps would be mid thirties with stock coolers.
7 answers Last reply
More about constant usage
  1. Open task manager and find out what process is using it. What other troubleshooting steps have you done?
  2. Its most likely your antivirus doing a background scan. Norton on mine will do a quick scan of main system files when it is idle
  3. enzo- The taskmanager shows 0-1% cpu usage on some processes and 0% on most of the others, yet the performance tab still shows ~25% usage. The graphic that shows individual cores appears to have cores 1 and 4 @ 0% while cores 2 and 3 are jacked up to ~33% which would be close to 25% overall i guess. I haven't done any other troubleshooting steps as i don't know where to start. I though it might be more hardware related than software (ie voltage whatnot) so i came here.

saaiello- I don't have antivirus installed :\
  4. Alright. Just to make sure:

-you have "show processes from all users" checked
    -System idle process reads 75%
    -You are using windows 7 64-bit, yes?
  5. HA I did NOT have the show all processes checked. It looks like the process is "intel rapid storage technology.

Yes idle is 75%..but i often jumps to 99% as this intel storage thing drops to 1 or 0%. I do have an ssd (intel x25v). This could also coincide with the fact that windows no longer loads up instantly..it hangs for ~30 trying to get to the login screen. I guess it looks like i have to set up the ssd differently. I did download a ssd tweaking program (ssd tweaker) and loaded all the default settings. This seemed to help..as startup was really fast. The only thing i did differently from then till now is remove the page file from my ssd. (and altogether for that matter due to space).

And yes to your third question.

Can i delete this intel rapid storage technology thing?
    Any tweaking suggestions that aren't included in the utility? maybe put the page file on one of my other hds?

Thanks a ton.
  6. Well I am impatient so i just uninstalled it. This fixed it, very nub'ish' of me. But still my ssd problem is still here (sluggish) Any suggestions?

p.s. i guess i am out of the scope of this forum, i'll move this to the hd section. Thanks!
  7. Glad you figured out the problem at least. I would try to help more but SSD are not my forte :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Cooling Intel i5