Should my Hyper 212 Evo be moving?

themissingpiece

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I know, it seems a little silly at first, but I'm still a little concerned. I recently installed a CM Hyper 212 Evo for my Asus P8Z77-V motherboard in my CM HAF 912 to cool my 2500k so I could overclock it. After installing it, I found that I could rotate the entire heatsink a little. It's still fine for cooling at stock, but I'm worried about overclocking. Did I install it wrong? Or should it be like that? Also, if you can, can anyone reccomend good clock speeds for 2500K on the 212 evo? Thanks.

Solution
You should not be able to move the heatsink and it seems to be very loose , can you tighten the screws on the bracket anymore? If not then maybe you have installed it wrong.
You probably won't get over 4.5 ghz with the Hyper 212 Evo but you'll have to keep an eye on the temps when you are doing the overclock to make sure that the Hyper 212 can handle ther heat.
You should not be able to move the heatsink and it seems to be very loose , can you tighten the screws on the bracket anymore? If not then maybe you have installed it wrong.
You probably won't get over 4.5 ghz with the Hyper 212 Evo but you'll have to keep an eye on the temps when you are doing the overclock to make sure that the Hyper 212 can handle ther heat.

Solution

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
It's normal to be able to rotate it. I have installed two 212+'s and two TX3's (the 212's little brother) They all allow for some twisting. (even though the tx3 uses the cross brace that stops the "twist" after just a little rotation.

What you don't want is much angular play. (where it can rock back and forth, up and down.)

andyrak

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

I've got a hyper 212 plus installed in my ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 motherboard. (had to get the lga 2011 updated bracket from cooler master). I've got the standoffs and bracket as tight as it can safely go but aside from the twisting which seems normal for these, i've also got a bit of wobble room.

It would seem to me that wobble in that large cooling system might put some undue pressure on just a small part of the chip rather than distributing the stress over the entire surface. I thought about taking an extra bracket and bending it slightly to compensate for the gap.

I wish they had a thermal SHIM to place in between ><

any ideas please?
thanks,
andy