Sign in with
Your question

Saving OS from old PC

Last response: in Windows XP
September 1, 2012 12:05:52 PM

Hello,
I have an old IBM PC thats really outdated with XP preinstalled on the HD . My question is is it possible to get access to the partition that its in and burn just the OS to a disk and also retrieve the COA so it could be used on other systems. Otherwise I'll just erase and reuse the HD.

More about : saving

September 1, 2012 1:25:58 PM

I am not sure of the licensing agreement for your original xp install, so it may not be in accordance to move the license to another computer. If you can log into windows this tool will give you product keys.
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
m
l
September 1, 2012 7:00:12 PM

tks for replying mike . the install came with the machine and im not sure of the agreement either. i was just curious if it was possible to do and since i paid for it it would be a shame to just erase it.
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2012 7:09:09 PM

That's a violation of the licensing. The key on the COA is tied to that machine forever and cannot be transferred to another.
m
l
September 1, 2012 7:59:36 PM

ok tks for the info . guess ill just erase the hd and reuse it somewhere else. but it is a shame to throw it away just because the hardware is so out of date its unusable in todays world. tks again guys
m
l
September 1, 2012 8:55:08 PM

Not exactly true ex,

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP since 2004
(Partner, MVP)
76,875 Points
Answered
Sign In to Vote
Sign In to Vote
Yes, you may transfer your retail version of Windows XP Professional to your new computer as long as you remove it from the old compuer via reformatting the hard drive.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/genuinewindowsxp/...

If it was an oem license then no.
m
l
September 2, 2012 12:19:15 PM

mike. it would have oem printed on the product id sticker if it was oem would'nt it? and if not how would i find out?
m
l
September 2, 2012 1:37:58 PM

Right click my computer if there is an oem under the registered to then the license is tied to the computer.
m
l
!