Reconfigure my installed programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I recently installed a new SSD. I’ve been reading a lot about how having many programs installed on the SSD will decrease its life time. So I’m thinking about reconfiguring the set up. I’m not sure if I should change to mounting the drive to a HD or creating junctions is better?
I presently have all the data storage pics, music, documents stored on the HD. Is that good enough?
What would you do?
I attached a few screen shots of my installed programs which ones should I move?
Why don’t the ones on top show the folder their installed to?

Thanks all

Solution
Having programs installed on the SSD won't decrease its life. Writing (a lot) to the SSD is what decreases its life. When you install a program to the SSD it writes it once, and then it just gets read over and over again - and that doesn't cause any lifetime issues.

The only sense in which this isn't true is because it helps the lifetime of the SSD if you leave a fair amount of free space on it (around 30% or more free space might be a reasonable guideline). It might be valid to avoid installing your programs on the SSD if it means filling it up to the point where it's pretty much full.

Otherwise, the SSD is a great place to install your programs because that way they'll start up much faster, and that's the reason you buy an...
Having programs installed on the SSD won't decrease its life. Writing (a lot) to the SSD is what decreases its life. When you install a program to the SSD it writes it once, and then it just gets read over and over again - and that doesn't cause any lifetime issues.

The only sense in which this isn't true is because it helps the lifetime of the SSD if you leave a fair amount of free space on it (around 30% or more free space might be a reasonable guideline). It might be valid to avoid installing your programs on the SSD if it means filling it up to the point where it's pretty much full.

Otherwise, the SSD is a great place to install your programs because that way they'll start up much faster, and that's the reason you buy an SSD in the first place.

Solution

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Thanks so much for that very clear answer sminial. I partitioned the drive in 2 partitions. Considering that I have used only about 40 % of the space should I maybe shrink the 2nd partition to achieve the 30% free (unallocated) space you mention? I'm thinking if its partitioned it's considered used and not free.
Thanks

A partition that doesn't have anything in it is not "used" in terms of the SSD, unless you did a "full" format of it (it's best to avoid doing a "full" format of any partition on an SSD and instead just use the "quick" format option).

If there's any doubt, just delete the partition - that will mark all of the space as "unused" even if you previously did a "full" format on it. (I'm assuming you're using Windows 7 here - it has the smarts to recognize and SSD and do these kinds of things).

Personally, I created one large partition that spans my entire SSD - but it's only about half full so that leaves about half of the flash memory pages in the SSD marked as "unused". But because it's there I can easily use the space in a crunch if I ever need to.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

As you can see from the picture, I created 2 partitions. Neither of which is full. I left 11 GB as un-allocated because I was reading that this helps the TRIM function. So I think this is OK. Do you agree?

diskmanagementbeforenew.th.png
[/URL][/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.