Solved

Dell GX620 mini tower CPU upgrade

What would be the best CPU I could get for this baby? I have the stock motherboard and I'm fairly sure it doesn't take core 2 duo but it takes Pentium D. Which processor would you recommend? Would I need a new psu to support it? I have the standard 305W psu that came with the machine.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dell gx620 mini tower upgrade
  1. Best answer
    Depending on what you have right now it might not be worth it. If you have the Pentium 4 HT 630 or better you will not see any real performance boost by going to the Pentium D if you are running the Celeron in there then the Pentium D would be a nice upgrade. The max it will support is a Pentium D 840 it will not work with anything better then that.

I dont know if this would work but if you could find a GX 750 755 or 760 motherboard they support core 2 processors and you would be able to keep your OEM version of windows this way but I am not sure if it is the same size as yours.
  2. I figured as much :( I'll just buy some more RAM and save up for a new pc. Thanks for the reply. How do I close a thread?
  3. Even though it is not listed, it will run the 9xx series Pentium D's also.

I put a 950 in my sons with the latest bios and all works fine.
  4. @ OP by selecting the best answer , the thread appears as the SOLVED, thus thread closed
  5. Best answer selected by Brendy.
  6. caryw said:
    Even though it is not listed, it will run the 9xx series Pentium D's also.

I put a 950 in my sons with the latest bios and all works fine.

Even with a 950 its really not worth it the gain you will see is not enough to justify especially if they have the fasted Pentium 4 HT
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards Dell