Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What does that sound mean?

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2012 3:35:40 PM

The hdd is 1T.B. Hitachi SATA II 3GB/s @7200RPM.

On idle or low loads its silent but very often like when i do extraction or compression job, it makes a little "krck......................................kreeak......................................krek......................." type of noise(audible when my room is completely silent).

when i hold it in hand while running, i feel the vibration higher than usual when the sound is produced.

i suspect it to be a fault in hdd, but i cant see any marginally performance lag. Also win7 rate it the same way at 5.9.

More about : sound

a c 289 G Storage
January 24, 2012 3:45:56 PM

Download and run diagnostics from the manufacturer.

And if you have the _slightest_ doubt about the safety of the drive, back it up to an external drive. If it fails, it will just be a minor inconvenience.

You may just be hearing seeking.
Score
January 24, 2012 4:02:59 PM

Pretty much normal Hard Drive operation... they have moving parts, and will make noise. Disks are spinning at 7200RPM and the read/write heads are moving back and forth to put data on different parts of the Plates.

Like WyomingKnott said, if you want to be certain then run diagnostics to check for failure. If it passes, it sounds normal from my experience.
Score
Related resources
January 24, 2012 4:04:18 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Download and run diagnostics from the manufacturer.

what is this diagnostics? a software or ...
Score

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 24, 2012 4:07:30 PM

use this to get the hitachi drive tool for test http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/
January 24, 2012 4:12:55 PM

Best answer selected by navZ88.
Score
January 24, 2012 7:07:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!