Help me choose sound card please. Aaargh.

max normal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
HI

First post and need help.

Got a new PC and want to connect

LCD TV via optical out on tv as speakers are rubbish (take it via PC into AV30s).
M-Audio AV30s but nearly all or all cards can do this also-
Connect to my AV amp via coaxial or optical.

And hopefully have decent audio playback.

The only card I have seen with the connections I need is the Trust DX514 (SC5250) but I have never associated Trust with quality really, probably my bad. But seeing as the main connections are optical, quality should not really matter, is that correct?

If I could get the connections I need on a fairly cheap Asus I would be very happy but I don't know if there is one.

So I need a card with mainly optical In and prefer Coaxial Out or Optical Out.

Will the Trust card be OK or can anyone recommend another.

Thanks in advance.

This is a great card and has Optical in and out and also has Coaxial out too,

HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

29-271-001-TS

There are a few others that have what you are looking for but alot are really expensive and then the others are really cheap and low quality this one I linked is the best of both decent price and great quality with everything you need.

For under $100, the best options are:

HT Omega Striker ($89)
ASUS Xonar DS ($50)*
ASUS Xonar D1/DX ($89)**

*DTS Connect only; Dolby Digitial Live encoding over optical is not supported. DD passthrough still works correctly.

**Dolby Digital Live only; DTS Connect encoding over optical is not supported. DTS passthrough still works correctly.

***Xonar D1 is PCI, DX is PCI-E. Otherwise, they are the same card.

max normal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Hi again and thanks.

I have seen the Xonar cards and they appear excellent. They don't have and optical in AND out though do they? Which is what I really need.

The Omega does, however I am in the UK and I cannot find this card anywhere! lol.

Typical really...don;t want to pay over the odds with customs and all that added on top too.

Any advice on another card or where to get the Omega, looks real nice that one!

Thanks.