Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is BOOT (X

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
October 16, 2011 8:17:41 PM

Cannot boot up Windows7.

It Immediately wants to run a repair process then comes back with: "C1.dll is corrupt".

I managed to view my drives and folders going in using DOS commands.

It then showed a screen listing my internal and external drives attached but what was new to all of this is it also listed "BOOT (X:)  as a drive with about 2 MB used up on a 31 MB drive.

Anyone know if this is a virus?

If I deleted it would it also delete critically needed other files?

Ray

More about : boot

a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2011 8:38:57 PM

could be some sort of diagnostic partition like dells use--be carefull deleting anything that says boot

try f8 at boot up and if you have disable driver signing. option try that to get round C1.dll is corrupt
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2011 8:54:38 PM

I looked at my copy Win 7 and cant find this file at all. Have you tried a repair install of win 7 from the disk?
m
0
l
Related resources
October 16, 2011 11:31:56 PM

Dogsnake said:
I looked at my copy Win 7 and cant find this file at all. Have you tried a repair install of win 7 from the disk?


I didn't get Windows7 on a disk when I purchased the laptop but I promptly made "recovery disks" in the event of such problems, however, when I tried the recovery disks I got a message on the screen stating that all data will be deleted from the laptop if I continued to run the recovery disks.

Does anyone know if this is the result of a "virus"?

Ray
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2011 11:51:52 PM

Usually there is a key to press during boot that will take you to the windows installation software partition. If you can get there you can select the repair option for an install. This will not result in the loss of data. If your recovery disks are images of the computer, what they will recover is the computer in the state it was in when the image was made. Do you know what is on the recovery disk(s)? Since you can get to your drive in DOS, can you copy the data you want to keep to your external drive? BTW how do you get to the DOS prompt, are you booting to safe mode options? This .dll usually is in the windows system 32 folder. You can get a copy on line and copy it into the location from DOS. Perhaps you can tell us a bit more also. Like what is the system configuration (hardware and software), was the system working at any time, what do you remember doing right before the problem started and any other information you think might help. You can also run system file checker from DOS and it will look for and try to repair damaged system files.
m
0
l
October 16, 2011 11:56:24 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
could be some sort of diagnostic partition like dells use--be carefull deleting anything that says boot

try f8 at boot up and if you have disable driver signing. option try that to get round C1.dll is corrupt


Thanks but no place to disable driver. By the way I noticed my original message shows a smiley face but actually it is a ) after a :

I'll try again to see if I can force the actual message I get. BOOT (X: ).

I added the space after the colon to avoid the smiley face.

And that BOOT message is shown as a listed drive along side the C drive and the D drive.

Ray
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 12:13:43 AM

Dogsnake said:
Usually there is a key to press during boot that will take you to the windows installation software partition. If you can get there you can select the repair option for an install. This will not result in the loss of data. If your recovery disks are images of the computer, what they will recover is the computer in the state it was in when the image was made. Do you know what is on the recovery disk(s)? Since you can get to your drive in DOS, can you copy the data you want to keep to your external drive? BTW how do you get to the DOS prompt, are you booting to safe mode options? This .dll usually is in the windows system 32 folder. You can get a copy on line and copy it into the location from DOS. Perhaps you can tell us a bit more also. Like what is the system configuration (hardware and software), was the system working at any time, what do you remember doing right before the problem started and any other information you think might help. You can also run system file checker from DOS and it will look for and try to repair damaged system files.


Yes, I can copy files but I can only copy one folder at a time and only one file at a time if not in a folder (a very time consuming process but encouraging to know that all (hopefully) is not lost.

I made the recovery disks only immediately after I purchased the Toshiba laptop. Do you know if "C1.dll" is a valid file in Windows7?

I was working on a Google application form to show my business on Google. I had completed it and left my pc running in "hibernate mode", then came back to it 2 hours later and tried to recover it from the hibernate mode but discovered this problem instead.

Ray
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 3:44:20 AM

Dogsnake said:
Did a little research (you could google Boot X) and Boot X is boot loader software associated with either a Linex or and older Mac OS install. What is the history of the hardware. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BootX_%28Apple%29) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BootX_%28Linux%29)and an old Tom's thread (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251519-32-boot).


It is a Toshiba laptop and I purchased it about 10 months ago at BestBuy. Never used any Linex or Mac software but I have installed Safari about 6 months ago.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2011 6:12:16 AM

Was it new in the box? Best Buy is known to re-wrap returned items. The .dll is a valid file. It is very odd that you would have the Boot X. Ten months it not very long, have you contacted BB about this? Also how are you getting into DOS? I asked before. Can you boot in safe mode? Have you run system file checker? You can run system restore (using a restore point) from safe mode.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2011 11:14:44 AM

my partner has a toshiba so had a look --it looks like boot x is some sort of linux loader for the recovery partition

why not run a live cd like ubuntu to copy all the files you want to save in one go
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 6:49:39 PM

Dogsnake said:
Was it new in the box? Best Buy is known to re-wrap returned items. The .dll is a valid file. It is very odd that you would have the Boot X. Ten months it not very long, have you contacted BB about this? Also how are you getting into DOS? I asked before. Can you boot in safe mode? Have you run system file checker? You can run system restore (using a restore point) from safe mode.


I am able to get to the Boot manager.

I was able to go to earlier restore points but the result is the same. it wants to continuously run the diagnostic test but doesn't resolve anything.

It does ask if I have a Windows Installation Disk and if so to use it and to click on "Repair your computer" but I never got any Windows installation disk when I purchased this laptop. This is why I promptly made "recovery disks (4 in all) but it gives a warning that if i use them it will delete everything on the computer.

I can get to the DOS C: prompt. Do you happen to know the command to copy or backup all the contents of this laptop?

m
0
l
October 27, 2011 12:42:58 AM

I used the xcopy and copied "everything" on my laptop, around 250 GB, onto an external drive. this is great as I haven't lost any data (as far as I know) but of course I still am not able to boot up Windows7.
Since my laptop is under 1 year and still under Toshiba's manufacturer's warranty Best Buy has agreed to replace my hard drive with a new hard drive (at no expense), they will also install a Windows7 operating system and all the updates associated with it. this is all good. the down side is that all the programs applications will need to be reinstalled and some I no longer have the programs, then reinstalling all my email setttings, etc. is all going to be a bear.
Having a way to correct the problem preventing me from booting up Windows7 would be best but it is a blessing that I have been able to save my data.
One of you had asked how I got into DOS. I used the "Windows Recovery Environment" disks (one of the recovery disks I made soon after I opened my laptop) to get to a window that provides a number of different avenues to either correct problems or restore to a prior working point but none of them worked. The only one that helped was one option allowing me to get to the C:\ prompt. That is what allowed me to copy all my data on this laptop. thank goodness for that feature.
Thanks to all of you. I have a hard time selecting the best answer because all of you had great input and all had good suggestions.
Ray
m
0
l
October 27, 2011 12:46:06 AM

PS. I used the following DOS command to copy everything on my laptop:

xcopy C:*.* G:/e /c /i /h /k

I should have added /s also but it seems OK as is.

thanks again.

Ray
m
0
l
October 27, 2011 12:51:17 AM

PSS. it is: xcopy C:*.* G: /e/c/i/h/k

and "G" obviously having been my external drive.

I added an extra space to rid the "puzzled face" icon.

:) 
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 11:24:35 AM

Best Buy Geek Squad guy told me that the hard drive is corrupt or defective and it was still under the 1st year manufacturers warranty and Toshiba will replace the hard drive at no cost to me.

I was down to 2 days left under the warranty and after copying everything using the xcopy command I decided to go for the new hard drive and they would give me the old one back. They did and then they reinstalled Windows7.

Having made a backup was great but now I was starting with a virgin PC. It will be a long process getting back up to speed. I asked the guy at Best Buy if there was a way to take the backup data and copy it onto the new hard drive and he said I would have had to make a mirror image of the data on the old drive, otherwise I will need the software programs to reinstall them on the new drive. Unfortunately, I have parted with many of them.
But the blessing is that I was able to get into the DOS system and copy everything. I have managed to get some programs up and running but not my Outlook yet which is urgent as it has all my correspondence and contacts. I guess I'll just have to pay another $140.00 for a new Outlook program and hope I will be able to transfer all my Outlook files over to it.
Ray
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 11:45:10 AM

you could recover your outlook key even from the non bootable drive

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

and if your outlook files are saved as pst you should be able to import it all ok--even if the pst files have corrupted there is a repair function in outlook called pstscan or something similar

edit--its scanpst not pstscan
m
0
l
!