Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

1st System Build, Recommendations?

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 27, 2010 1:57:48 AM

Edited > My 1st System Build, Tech Level: Noob-Average (But do My "Homework"). Here's what I have Put together;

Processor:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 125W
Motherboard CHANGED TO:
GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5
Memory (Changed from CORSAIR to G.SKILL RIPJAWS):
G.SKILL RIPJAWS F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM (or)
G.SKILL RIPJAWS F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM
Hard-drives:
2 x WD 640GB Caviar Black (RAID//Striped)
External WD 500GB USB//Firewire (Already Purchased)
Case:
Tt Armor+MX Case (Already Purchased) 23cm Side Fan Model
Power Supply:
Tt TR2 RX 850W Black Widow 80 Certified (Already Purchased)
CPU Cooler (Changed):
Cooler-Master Hyper N620
Graphics Card:
Purchase 1 at this Point, 2nd One later for Crossfire
XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
Keyboard & Mouse:
LOGITECH MX5500 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse (Already Purchased)
Speakers:
LOGITECH Z-5500 Audio System (Already Purchased)
Monitor:
ViewSonic X Series VX2433wm Black 23.6" 2ms(GTG); 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor(Already Purchased)
Operating System:
WINDOWS 7 Home Edition Premium 64-Bit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would Like to say that $$$ is No Object, But it is! Just want a Decent System That will Last a Few Years.
***Can't Afford any more than 2 HDD's***
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Questions:
1) Which Memory is BEST for this System?
2) On Memory; Which CAS, Timing, & Voltage would be BEST for this System?
3) With Several Models of XFX Radeon HD 5770 to choose From, which is The BEST Card to get for the Buck??
Would like to ADD another Graphics Card for Crossfire in a Few Months.
4) Should I stick with XFX or Add a Different Manufacturer (HIS has been suggested) ??
5) Any ideas on DVD+RW??
6) Do I still need a CDRW??
7) Are Floppy's a thing of the Past, or should I install one??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Uses:
I do Online Gaming, but at this Point Fairly MILD compared to Most of You. I Play WoW, and D2/LOD (Eagerly Awaiting the Release of D3)
I do Mid-Level Video Editing & Graphics Design...
I also do the Small Business Software.

RECOMMENDATIONS??

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2010 2:24:37 AM

Okay I'll and try and answer as many questions as I can.

* CPU is a very good choice, especially since you can get free OC'ing with it and it doesn't cost too much too! :) 
* Mobo is fine, but I'd probably spend less than ~$180?? Newegg doesn't stock it anymore. :( 
* I like the first set of RAM you selected (CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 TW3X4G1333C9DHX) because it runs at stock voltages (1.5v) and isn't too expensive. The Tri-fan deal is a waste, IMHO. You have plenty of fans in the case already. Might I suggest a cheaper alternative??
$94 shipped! Runs at 1.5v's and if pretty fast for the $ (~$25 less)!!
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
* Here's a link on your CPU HSF. I'd consider the Cooler Master Hyper 212!!
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=232...
CM Hyper 212 review, I linked the AMD page, but you can read the whole review:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=241...
$30 shipped!!
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
* I like the 5770 GPU selection. The 4850 x 2 will do better, but doesn't support Dx 11 (not a biggy yet) and you might not perform as well under certain games with Crossfire/SLI.
* Onboard sound is quite well these days. I'd hold off on buying just yet until you get to hear your onboard sound. If you don't like what you hear, than get a seperate sound card. 99% of people like onboard sound, so there are only a few that prefer using a dedicated sound card.

Share
February 3, 2010 5:33:37 AM

Well I reviewed your recommendations.
The Cooler in a Nice idea. The MoBo is getting a Bit harder to Locate, but I found a "Revised" Edition (GA-790FXTA-5U)at ZZFly.com for about $170USD.
The GPU, well another recommend I got was to try the Sapphire 4890 Black Edition, but that's More Expensive than the 5770, and I Think the 5770 still has more Features, just Not quite as Fast. I was Checking out the HIS 5770 and it "seems" like a Decent Board also (another Opinion was to Purchase the XFX, then wait a couple of Month's then add the HIS Version of the Same Chipset as the XFX, and go to the Actual Crossfire....didn't know you could "Mix & Match"??)
Had another suggestion to go back a bit further and get 2 of the Sapphire 3870 VaporX Toxic Boards, starting to get a bit confusing...
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2010 10:08:44 AM

The 4890 is essentially a 5770, so getting a 4890 would be getting a 5770 and having no Dx11 (not a biggie). The 5770 consumes less power (cooler running) and has the latest tech (Dx 11). So this is why I'd recommend the 5770. If you can afford ~$300 the 5850 is your best buy. 2 x 5770's perform better than the 5850, but then you'd be requireing a Crossfire mobo. Not that isn't a bad idea, but when you need to upgrade the GPU's you will have to pull the 5770's and start over (sell them or whatever). The 3870's are so old now that I wouldn't recommend them, unless your on a tight budget and you get them for ~$50-75 each.
m
0
l
February 5, 2010 8:52:13 PM

Well after careful review I have opted to Change the Motherboard to the Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5
AND:
I think for the Buck I'm going with the XFX Radeon HD 5770 (x2) & the 2 WD 640GB Caviar Black Edition Hard-drives (Raid/Striped)
I found that CoolerMaster 212 with Dual Fans for a reasonable $36.99, I "think" that's the way to go...
Now, all I have to do is Figure out which way to Go for the DVD-RW/+RW Combo & CDRW Combo that will be compatible WITH and Use the MoBo Resources...
Do I even want to go with a old Floppy Drive?
Since I'm upgrading the MoBo, would I actually need to Upgrade the Memory to 1600MHz?? I have decided to Run with the Corsair XMS3 DHX Memory as I can get it for $5 more than the G. Skill RipJaws.
m
0
l
February 5, 2010 9:28:10 PM

I'd go with the G-SKill ripjaws @ 1600 Mhz - that's what I'm using in an AMD Build on and ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO board, rock solid, and fast (even without O/C). being paranoid about data security (Ex SysAdmin) I'd go for 2 x 1TB drives Raid/mirrored, and do regular backups to a couple more 1 Tb external drives (NAS box?)
the rest of your prospective buid looks to be good. -- Go for it!
m
0
l
February 13, 2010 2:11:27 AM

lunyone said:
Okay I'll and try and answer as many questions as I can.

* CPU is a very good choice, especially since you can get free OC'ing with it and it doesn't cost too much too! :) 
* Mobo is fine, but I'd probably spend less than ~$180?? Newegg doesn't stock it anymore. :( 
* I like the first set of RAM you selected (CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 TW3X4G1333C9DHX) because it runs at stock voltages (1.5v) and isn't too expensive. The Tri-fan deal is a waste, IMHO. You have plenty of fans in the case already. Might I suggest a cheaper alternative??
$94 shipped! Runs at 1.5v's and if pretty fast for the $ (~$25 less)!!
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
* Here's a link on your CPU HSF. I'd consider the Cooler Master Hyper 212!!
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=232...
CM Hyper 212 review, I linked the AMD page, but you can read the whole review:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=241...
$30 shipped!!
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
* I like the 5770 GPU selection. The 4850 x 2 will do better, but doesn't support Dx 11 (not a biggy yet) and you might not perform as well under certain games with Crossfire/SLI.
* Onboard sound is quite well these days. I'd hold off on buying just yet until you get to hear your onboard sound. If you don't like what you hear, than get a seperate sound card. 99% of people like onboard sound, so there are only a few that prefer using a dedicated sound card.


I like your Recommendation for the Cooler, but ran into some Q's along the way: 3-Pin or 4-Pin Connector??
The 4-Pin Model is the COOLER-MASTER Hyper 212 PLUS....I did some Further research, and Found That the New Model HYPER N620 is the same Height, slighty Thicker because of 2 Fans (I do Like the Blue LED anyways(since I'm going the "Blue Christmas Tree Setup"), and should fit My Case without interfering with the 23cm Side Fan & still give me ample Room for the Extended Heat-Sink Memory...AFTER all the Recommends I got HERE & other Places, I guess I will run the G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH, has Great Timing & CAS at 7-7-7-21...
----------------------------------------------------
So, whats a Good DVD +/- DVD-RW that has Light Scribe?? Do I actually NEED a CDRW Combo?? I suppose FLOPPY is a thing of the Past??
----------------------------------------------------
What do I use with the Onboard Audio for controlling Volume & Tone??
----------------------------------------------------
As Far as the Video Card, I have finally arrived at the XFX HD-577A-ZNFC (Juniper XT) "seems" Like the Best Overall Choice for the $$$
m
0
l
February 13, 2010 2:20:47 AM

David_J_D said:
I'd go with the G-SKill ripjaws @ 1600 Mhz - that's what I'm using in an AMD Build on and ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO board, rock solid, and fast (even without O/C). being paranoid about data security (Ex SysAdmin) I'd go for 2 x 1TB drives Raid/mirrored, and do regular backups to a couple more 1 Tb external drives (NAS box?)
the rest of your prospective buid looks to be good. -- Go for it!


Don't think I can fit TB's into the Present Budget, especially adding an External HDD as well (I already have a WD 500GB External, that should work for me...)
WHY "Mirrored"?? I was going to Take the 2 x 640GB and RAID/Stripe them...At present speaking from a Pro's & Con's View-point from several other "opinions" I have about 15% for Mirroring, and 60% for Stripe, 25% Unanswered or Do neither....
m
0
l
February 13, 2010 2:22:59 AM

That looks like a good build, basically the same exact thing I did for myself. Everything works great.
m
0
l
February 15, 2010 7:05:45 PM

Idaho Biker said:
Don't think I can fit TB's into the Present Budget, especially adding an External HDD as well (I already have a WD 500GB External, that should work for me...)
WHY "Mirrored"?? I was going to Take the 2 x 640GB and RAID/Stripe them...At present speaking from a Pro's & Con's View-point from several other "opinions" I have about 15% for Mirroring, and 60% for Stripe, 25% Unanswered or Do neither....


Striping gives you speed and you get to use both drives to hold data, BUT if either drive fails, you've lost everything. mirroring pretty much guarantees integrity UNLESS both drives fail at the same time.

If you can afford it, your best bet is either raid 5 or 1+0, where you get the benefits of both mirror and stripe.
for a better explanation of the various RAID schemes, please see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
m
0
l
February 15, 2010 9:15:35 PM

David_J_D said:
Striping gives you speed and you get to use both drives to hold data, BUT if either drive fails, you've lost everything. mirroring pretty much guarantees integrity UNLESS both drives fail at the same time.

If you can afford it, your best bet is either raid 5 or 1+0, where you get the benefits of both mirror and stripe.
for a better explanation of the various RAID schemes, please see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID


Well at This point, My "Budget" is spread fairly Thin....So the Option of 2 additional HDD's is Not on the Table.
So, I will have to stick to RAID "0", as for a Backup I already have a 500GB External HDD, and That should work Fine.
m
0
l
February 26, 2010 1:08:09 AM

Best answer selected by Idaho Biker.
m
0
l
!