Sign in with
Your question

Does this PSU have enough power to run my system?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Geforce
  • Power
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
April 2, 2010 2:42:27 PM

This is the PSU i'm looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My System:
AMD Athlon X2 3800+
2gb DDR Ram
MOBO: Geforce 6100-M9
Evga Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB
Lightscribe DVD Drive
Second DVD Drive (24x)
250gb Hardrive
Creative XtremeGamer Sound Card

More about : psu power run system

a b ) Power supply
April 2, 2010 4:21:27 PM

cannot click the link for some reason, please list the model name and number so i can check it out...
m
l
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
April 2, 2010 4:41:50 PM

Raidmax is not known for stellar power supplies.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts and Antec TruePower New models which are a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.
m
l
April 2, 2010 5:47:01 PM

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V
m
l
a c 154 ) Power supply
April 2, 2010 7:29:36 PM

RaidMax is a bomber. I would never be one to recommend selecting or rejecting a PSU based upon manufacturer name but RaidMax, Apeiva and Rosewill are ones I would reject across the board. Most PSU manufacturers whose names you would recognize don't actually build PSU's....they market them and have them built by ODM's or OEM's. Seasonic and Fortron-Source / Sparkle manufacture their own products. Enermax makes some of their own.

It must be remembered that manufacturers are in busines to make money and they , at leats most of them, build to satisfy various market niches. Antec for example makes their basiq line to appeal to very budget conscious consumers, their top lines to the enthusiast and various levels in between.

To start off the process, 1st you wanna do the math and this link makes that easy:

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Next stop is silentpcreview.com's web site where they have tabulated the top and 2nd tier PSU's based upon both electrical an acoustical performance.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

The Editor's Choice List is the starting point for very discerning users who require both outstanding stable electrical performance and extremely quiet PC's. The Recommended List however assures you a high quality PSU that all but the most demanding users will be content with. Note....keep in mind that not being listed here doesn't mean it isn't a good PSU, just means perhaps that they haven't tested it.

Not to be content with just one source, next stop is www.jonnyguru.com for the proverbial "2nd opinion".

Here's my take on the the more popular lines readily available at decent prices:

Antec SG Series - the pinnacle of the industry, IMO.....extremely quiet and electrical performance sometimes met but not that I have seen exceeded ... at least not at reasonable costs. Extra points for Antec Customer Service / Tech Support and compatibility w/ Antec cases.
Antec CP Series - a hair below the SG series but quieter ... held back by form factor ....only fits 5 Antec Cases but simply uncomparable price / performance ratio. You'll pay twice as much for something as good from anyone else, including Antec.
Antec TP / TPQ / Earthwatts Series - Very good PSU's.
Antec Neo / Basiq / Other - intended primarily as a source for the extremely budget conscious, these are best skipped by those building their own.

Corsair HX Series - A match for the Antec SG / CP series electrically....not as quiet as those lines tho. I typically put these in HAF 932 builds.
Corsair TX/VX/CX series - A match for the Antec Earthwatts / TP / TPQ series....great match for HAF 922 builds

Enermax Modu Series - Bit above the Corsair TX / Antec TP but below the SG / HX series.

Seasonic X / M12D Series - An excellent line of products comparable to the Corsair HX series

Silverstone Zeus / Olympia Series - See Enermax Modu Series

Silverstone Strider / Element / Decathalon - Widely varying quality depending on specific model, some of it very good some not so muchl.

Thermaltake Toughpower - Similar to Corsair TX / Antec TP series in some models...some others not so good.

OCZ Z Series - Comparable to Corsair TX / Antec TP
OCX Evo/GameXStream - Widely variable quality, model dependent
m
l
!