Overclocking the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz

ferdyy

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hey, so I got this processor now and I will have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo on it tomorrow.
I'm currently on 3,2Ghz already.
FSB = 400
System memory multiplier = 2
When I do Prime 95 it gets pretty high that's why I'm getting the cooler.

RAM: 4,00 GB Dual-Kanaal DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-18)

Could somebody explain me how the system memory multiplier goes because I honestly don't know the difference if I put it on 2 or 2,4 for example.

I'm on the normal voltage by the way, didn't go higher

Oh and somehow I suddenly have 2,66Ghz again and I haven't turned my computer off and it was 3,2.
What the hell............. (using CPU-Z)

This ^ is my main issue now

set fsb to 400 set multiplier to 8 or if temps allow 9. the reason you see it down clocking is due to speed stepping. think of it like you dont need to run your car at 4000 rpm's at a stop light, this feature can be shut off in the bios.

drums101

Distinguished
I explained how the memory multiplier works in your other thread......just like the cpu multiplier it takes your FSB speed and multiplies it to get your final speed....in this case your final RAM speed....the lower the number the lower your ram speed...which is what you want when you are OC'ing a chip you do not want to OC your RAM at the same time bc then there is more issues that could arise..once you are done OC'ing your cpu and you know its stable you can then go back and bump up your RAM speed until you get it where you want it.....the lower the RAM multiplier the slower your memory..the higher the RAM multiplier the higher your RAM speed...