Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Gaming computer budget as close as $1700 as possible

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 27, 2010 2:13:05 AM

Ok to begin with this will be my 2nd desktop build trying to keep it at around $1700 but i want a 5970 on it.

This is what i have came up with so far
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

i was curious of what you guys think of this build, what you would do differently, or go a entire different direction altogether.



APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: in the next 2 months

BUDGET RANGE: around $1700

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, movies, music, basic home use

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: no need for speakers or mouse or monitor and i am a college student so i can get windows 7 cheap

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg but willing to try other places

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type Intel

OVERCLOCKING: light over clock probaly to 3.2ghz processor

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050 will be upgrading in the future
January 27, 2010 2:35:12 AM

I like your build a lot. A couple of money saving suggestions:

Do you need 2 TB of storage? The F3 drives from samsung are cheaper and faster than the caviar blacks. You can get 2 1TB drives for $180.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E...

You also don't need 850 watts of power to run one 5970 afaik. Also, it won't be enough to power two 5970s in quad x-fire. I would downgrade to a quality 700 or 750w model. You could save a ton of money by going with an OCZ modxtstream pro if you want to stick with a modular unit ($70 after a mail in rebate). I have used the lower wattage versions in a couple of builds and have been nothing but satisfied with them. That is a very nice deal on the corsair 850w though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E...
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 2:42:21 AM

i like those changes and i did them already brought down the price rather nicely. with this motherboard can i run these 2 in raid 0 or do i need to get a raid card. also since it lowers the price i have about another $150 extra to play with and put into other areas any suggestions ?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 27, 2010 2:46:36 AM

My thoughts:

* CPU looks good (i5 750)

* CPU HSF is a good choice (CM Hyper 212)

* $300 2 TB HD, is a bit extreme. I'd rather buy 2 x 1 TB HD's for $180 and pocket the extra $.
2 x $90 shipped = $180!!!
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

* RAM will work, but at 1.85-1.95v to reach those timings, that is just too high, IMHO. They are also $140 shipped, which is a bit much if you ask me. Look at these:
$94 shipped! Runs at stock voltages (1.5v) and are pretty fast.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

* The 5970 is way overkill for 1680 x 1050, IMHO. You'd be better off with the 5870 for ~$250 less. Than when you upgrade to a bigger resolution later and don't like your performance (not sure that you will) you just add another 5870 and be done with it.

* The PSU is nice, but if you stick with 1 GPU solution, than the Corsair 650tx will do the job just fine. It also costs $60 less (after MIR's)!!
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

* Mobo is fine, but I'd consider maybe a cheaper alternative and still have 2 x PCI-e 2.0 operation. This one below is ~$60 less!!
$135 shipped!!
GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

* Interesting case selection. I like the CM 690 case for $20 less after shipping charges!!
$90 shipped! The XClio is $110 w/shipping ($85 + $25 shipping).
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Edit: Forgot to mention that your DVD Burner is OEM, which usually means NO software included. I'd recommend:
$30 shipped! Comes w/the software to read/burn DVD's!!
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 24X DVD-R SATA Black 24X DVD Writer - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 3:06:05 AM

lunyone said:
My thoughts:

* CPU looks good (i5 750)

* CPU HSF is a good choice (CM Hyper 212)

* $300 2 TB HD, is a bit extreme. I'd rather buy 2 x 1 TB HD's for $180 and pocket the extra $.
2 x $90 shipped = $180!!!
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

* RAM will work, but at 1.85-1.95v to reach those timings, that is just too high, IMHO. They are also $140 shipped, which is a bit much if you ask me. Look at these:
$94 shipped! Runs at stock voltages (1.5v) and are pretty fast.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

* The 5970 is way overkill for 1680 x 1050, IMHO. You'd be better off with the 5870 for ~$250 less. Than when you upgrade to a bigger resolution later and don't like your performance (not sure that you will) you just add another 5870 and be done with it.

* The PSU is nice, but if you stick with 1 GPU solution, than the Corsair 650tx will do the job just fine. It also costs $60 less (after MIR's)!!
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

* Mobo is fine, but I'd consider maybe a cheaper alternative and still have 2 x PCI-e 2.0 operation. This one below is ~$60 less!!
$135 shipped!!
GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

* Interesting case selection. I like the CM 690 case for $20 less after shipping charges!!
$90 shipped! The XClio is $110 w/shipping ($85 + $25 shipping).
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Edit: Forgot to mention that your DVD Burner is OEM, which usually means NO software included. I'd recommend:
$30 shipped! Comes w/the software to read/burn DVD's!!
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 24X DVD-R SATA Black 24X DVD Writer - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


hey what do you think of the cooler master 690 2 advanced case compared to the original ?
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 3:41:43 AM

Quote:
hey what do you think of the cooler master 690 2 advanced case compared to the original ?

I think it looks good too! I just wouldn't buy it from Newegg right now. It's $120 w/shipping. I did find it here for $93 shipped to my zipcode and they have to special order it, but it's still $27 less than Newegg!!
$76 + $17 shipped = ~$93!!
http://www.provantage.com/cooler-master-rc-692-kkn2~7CO...
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 3:54:22 AM

well i think i will bump down to a 5870 currently because the 5890 wont fit in the cooler master case for one and i can just upgrade at a later date. but what should i spend the extra $200 on and actually get a performance gain ?
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 4:16:16 AM

Well you could get a gain with a SSD drive. They are spendy though and not worth the cost, IMHO, just yet.
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 4:37:38 AM

The CM 690 case should fit the 5870, because it's 10.5" long, which is the same length as the 8800gtx. I know I've read somewhere that the CM 690 case can handle 2 x 8800gtx's, so the 5870 should be fine.
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 4:44:19 AM

my cm 690 (first version) fits a gtx 295 fairly comfortably. I would imagine it could house a 5970 as well.
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 5:26:04 AM

Quote:
my cm 690 (first version) fits a gtx 295 fairly comfortably. I would imagine it could house a 5970 as well.

Would you say there is another 1.6" left on the end of your gtx 295?? The dimensions on the 5970 is around 12.1" or so, so I'm just wondering if there is that much room left.

Can you pull out the HD bay too on the case?? I don't remember if you can or not. I've built 1 system around that case, but that was about a year ago and I don't remember if it can be removed for longer GPU's??
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 2:11:39 PM

It's pretty close, but I would say it would fit. You can not remove the HDD cage without popping some rivets.

I would probably got with a full tower if I was building around a 5970 anyway.

m
0
l
January 27, 2010 2:22:10 PM

Thanks for the pictures. Is there any chance you can measure it for us?? I would really like to know, so I can/can't recommend the case for a 5970 build. :) 
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 2:32:16 PM

the problem is, I won't know for sure. The optical drive bay sticks out a full inch further than the HDD cage. With the optional heat plate attached, and using the #1 pci_e slot on the P6T deluxe V2, the heat plate would probably make contact with the optical drive bay before the HDD cage.

I think that a fit would be largely mobo dependent. The thickness of the 5970 would play a role too. Any idea how thick the card is?
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 2:57:34 PM

foolycooly said:
the problem is, I won't know for sure. The optical drive bay sticks out a full inch further than the HDD cage. With the optional heat plate attached, and using the #1 pci_e slot on the P6T deluxe V2, the heat plate would probably make contact with the optical drive bay before the HDD cage.

I think that a fit would be largely mobo dependent. The thickness of the 5970 would play a role too. Any idea how thick the card is?

~1.6" thick and about 4" tall.

Edit: I've included a link to one of the 5970's. They took pictures with a tape measure, so you can have a better idea at the dimensions. :) 
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&th...
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 4:40:16 PM

ok guys i updated my build tell me what you guys think. i also did some research on the cm 690 and generally seems like it will barely and i mean barely fit or it wont.
m
0
l
!