I'm not allowed to mix brands of memory!?

yamahaalex37

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
I have 2gb of Patriot DDR2 6400 (2x1gb) in my M2N-SLI, and I just purchased another 2gb of Kingston DDR2 6400 (2x1gb). When I added the new Kingston memory to my system I got and powered up, Windows starts to load and then I get a very quick blue screen that says physical memory dump at the bottom, and then the computer shuts off.

I decided to test the new Kingston memory by itself, and it worked fine, and as soon as I tried adding the Patriot memory back in, the same thing happened, physical memory dump and crash.

What's going on here? I'm not allowed to mix brands?

yamahaalex37

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
I just realized the patriot was rated at 2.2v and the kingston was rated 1.8. i changed the voltage in bios to manual 1.8v, but still the same thing happened. I think maybe if i set it to 1.8 with only one set in, then get it running, then put in the second one, but it sucks everytime it dumps i have to restore my computer because after that it wont start again (windows loads then black screen) so its getting annoying

yamahaalex37

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
yes it does work by itself. i haven't tried switching the voltage to 1.8 on one set of ram individually, restarting, then adding the other set. all i did was put in both sets and set the voltage to 1.8, and it crashed and i had to restore :/ i guess i should try, i just got frustrated with restoring