Sign in with
Your question

I'm not allowed to mix brands of memory!?

Last response: in Memory
August 27, 2010 4:03:24 PM

I have 2gb of Patriot DDR2 6400 (2x1gb) in my M2N-SLI, and I just purchased another 2gb of Kingston DDR2 6400 (2x1gb). When I added the new Kingston memory to my system I got and powered up, Windows starts to load and then I get a very quick blue screen that says physical memory dump at the bottom, and then the computer shuts off.

I decided to test the new Kingston memory by itself, and it worked fine, and as soon as I tried adding the Patriot memory back in, the same thing happened, physical memory dump and crash.

What's going on here? I'm not allowed to mix brands?
a b } Memory
August 27, 2010 4:42:18 PM

Does the kingstone model have same timings and voltage ?
August 27, 2010 5:21:13 PM

I just realized the patriot was rated at 2.2v and the kingston was rated 1.8. i changed the voltage in bios to manual 1.8v, but still the same thing happened. I think maybe if i set it to 1.8 with only one set in, then get it running, then put in the second one, but it sucks everytime it dumps i have to restore my computer because after that it wont start again (windows loads then black screen) so its getting annoying
Related resources
August 27, 2010 6:26:47 PM

yes it does work by itself. i haven't tried switching the voltage to 1.8 on one set of ram individually, restarting, then adding the other set. all i did was put in both sets and set the voltage to 1.8, and it crashed and i had to restore :/  i guess i should try, i just got frustrated with restoring
August 27, 2010 7:01:57 PM

That is a good suggestion, thanks. is it a lot better to not fill up the capacity of ram slots?
September 6, 2010 12:58:12 AM

Best answer selected by yamahaalex37.
!