HOw much to ask for my PC?

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Hi all, I'm thinking about selling the PC I built in April, and building a new one. Trying to figure out what I should ask for it. I have a Phenom II 940@3.2GHZ with a Vigor Monsoon III Cooler,
8 GB OCZ platinum 1066 memory,
M3A79-t Deluxe motherboard.
HP 22x dVD burner,
LIte ON Blu RAy player/DVD burner,
4870x2+ 4870 setup for triple crossfire.
Hdds = 1TB Caviar Black, 500 GB WD CAviar blue, 250GB Barracuda 7200.1 drive.
Case = Thermaltake Spedo Advance
Power supply= 850W Thermaltake TR2 RX-850

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
what area should it be in? I'm selling b/c I am going to do a new setup, ordered a new case (800D) already, and going to build the new PC with an i7, and 5970 to take advantage of eyefinity. .

Ahhh, that would be interesting price. I know the 4870x2 is a spendy deal.

Let me try and break down the cost.
These are approximate new:

* CPU $145
* CPU HSF $50
* Mobo $190
* RAM ~$180
* DVD ~$30
* BluRay Burner ~$200
* GPU (4870x2) ~$210
* GPU (4870) ~$170
* HD's ~$150ish
* Case ~$225
* PSU ~$140

Total new price ~$1690
Used price ~$1200-1400 or so. It all depends on who buys it, obviously.

Edit: I forgot to add the OS, if it's included??

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
It's still totally insane to do this. Is it faster? Yeah, but it doesn't outclass it. I'm willing to bet that you do this, and you're stuck for like 5 years. (and my 5 years from now system will laugh at yours even though I will have spent nowhere near as much) Then again if you can afford to do this every year nevermind.

I was talking more about the overall concept of spending $2,000+ on a new system, when you already have a system more powerful than you could possibly need at this point.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006

Lol, that is an extremely valid point and I know 'wait' isn't the usual answer but how can u not wait for GF100 when u have such a capable system and money doesn't seem to be an object?

Maybe SLI'n a couple GF100's to get your Nvidia surround will get u the FPS you're looking for.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I am goig to wait. I really want a 6 core Gulftown CPU when they come out. I figured I can order what I know I will use (Case, 1366 Waterblock, etc) now. I'm def waiting till marchish when we will hopefully see the GF100 cards and the Gulftown CPUs, along with some benchmarks. The whole purpose of this thread was that I wanted to know what I could get out of my current system to know what a fair asking price is.

Depending on how well the GF100 does with surround gaming, I might get one of those over the 5970 (even though it looks like it will be slower than the 5970 and they will have problems getting dual GF100 chips on a card under 300W) Also depends on the benchmarks of the Gulftown, I'll either get one of those, or a 920 and OC hopefully to 4GHZ.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

I do a system build roughly every year to year and a half. Albeit normally with a smaller budget. Is it stupid? Maybe. Does it make sense to upgrade this soon? no. As far as being stuck, no, I wont' be stuck. I do not smoke, I don't drink, I don't make a ton of money, but I love computers and that is where my extra money goes. I passed being fiscally responsible for my computer purchases long ago when I bought a 30" 3008wfp for $1700. So for me it's my main hobby. Not the cheapest, but then again, not the most expensive hobby out there.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006

I was talking about getting 2 single core GF100's to SLI, not the Dual Chip card.

EDIT: But I back you, upgrade as often and as crazy as u can. Some people can't do it as often as others. F- man, I'm still using my conroe E6600 and happy enough but I'd upgrade from a 940 to i7 in a heartbeat if I could. Personally, my next build is going to be around nvidia's 3d vision but eyefinity is ur direction. F'n Avatar.

It's going to be touchy timing when selling your system thou, once GF100 comes out and drives down the prices of 5XXX cards the 4870's will go down too sapping price value from your current system but I wouldn't want to buy and 5XXX's before GF100.

Are we taking bets on this? Because I'd be willing to put money down that the first GF100 cards will come out at $600 and up, maybe $700. People will still buy them for the first couple months, just because some people insist on buying nvidia, and others insist on always having THE newest card available and will be trading in their crossfired 5870s for two of their nvidia counterparts. Just from the pent-up demand, I don't think any kind of price war is going to happen until, like, 2011.

Granted, the 5xxx series prices might come down a little on their own in the meantime, but that'll probably have more to do with demand saturation and/or the possibility of a 6000 series on the horizon.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I'm pretty positive the price will drop on the 5XXX cards once GF100 comes out. Maybe not by much but it definately will. I'm sure ATI has that headroom to do so and it'll make the GF100 a very hard choice for your gfx purchace by doing so. The same thing as GT200 and R700. All the recomendations stuck with ATI because of the price's

Well, it could be. I think it'll all depend on how high Nvidia's prices are. There's a good chance they'll make the GF100 a very hard choice for your gfx purchase all by themselves, without ATI having to do anything.

Although there's definitely room for the 58xx series to come down, no question about it. Someday the 5870 will drop to the range of $200 and below, and I'll be very happy about that.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Either way, it's always good for us cunsumers when both companies have good products out. Same with Processors. Competition is great! The thing is that in 8 months, we will be looking at the same situation.

I've always told anyone looking to build a computer the ONLY way to do it is to find a price point and a time frame. If you think $500 is what you're willing to spend every two years, then build the best PC for $500 you can, and expect that every 2 years, and you'll be in the same performance level for the most part. As the guy stated earlier about 5 years from now having a computer that kills what i"m going to build next, I certainly hope so, but I will have a whole new $2500 rig then.

You cannot over analyze it though, just pick what your comfortable with, and do that. You definetly cannot fall in love with any hardware because it's all going to be a paperweight one day.