Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Light
  • Controller
  • Flash
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 22, 2012 3:37:57 AM

I have a Laing D5 where the speed know is missing, instead if I look with a flash light there is a white plastic.

I can adjust the speed using a thin Screwdriver but this is hard work so I would rather open up the pump and maybe use superglue and glue something that reminds of a know (maybe a pen or a plastic bit.)

More about : laing fix speed controller

October 10, 2012 6:22:02 PM

there is a version of d5 which doesnt come with a speed control knob...when you controlled the speed with a screwdriver,did you notice any diffierence in the pumping power??
October 11, 2012 2:30:48 AM

mukitbinazad said:
there is a version of d5 which doesnt come with a speed control knob...when you controlled the speed with a screwdriver,did you notice any diffierence in the pumping power??

Yes, the pump makes alot of noise at the higher levels.
Level1 I can't really hear it good unless put finger on it for vibration.
Level2-3 you can hear it, level 4 and 5 is wery audible.

The seller told me the control knob fell off, now there is a white square if I press a flashlight in the hole.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b K Overclocking
October 11, 2012 3:39:53 AM

The speed controller isn't meant to be turned often. You just tune it to the desired setting and let it run. I actually had mine on 3 since it made less noise.
a c 153 K Overclocking
October 11, 2012 5:51:59 AM

I've got mine on 2.

Gonna try 1 later on. :) 
October 11, 2012 8:50:58 AM

boiler1990 said:
The speed controller isn't meant to be turned often. You just tune it to the desired setting and let it run. I actually had mine on 3 since it made less noise.

Yes I know, but it's getting more and more difficult to adjust the speed, I think the inside white plastic is getting wear and tear so I need to put on a new speed knob.

One day I might install CPU block or additional gpu blocks, right now I think mine is on 1, maybe 2.

amuffin said:
I've got mine on 2.

Gonna try 1 later on. :) 

If mine is on 1 right now then it's still plenty strong for 2rads and 2gpu blocks, but I have them in good position so that helps I guess and little resitive blocks and radiators.
a c 466 K Overclocking
October 11, 2012 12:31:58 PM

I set mine to 5 the day I originally installed it and it's never moved since.
October 12, 2012 10:09:05 AM

rubix_1011 said:
I set mine to 5 the day I originally installed it and it's never moved since.

Well If I put in another gpu block I might need to change the speed on my pump :) 
a c 466 K Overclocking
October 12, 2012 2:10:53 PM

Still don't see the need to constantly change the speed of the pump, regardless. Even on 5, mine is very, very quiet.
October 13, 2012 4:38:09 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Still don't see the need to constantly change the speed of the pump, regardless. Even on 5, mine is very, very quiet.

well youre reply does not help me at all on my question, also my pump is wery noisy at 3-5.
October 13, 2012 5:20:03 PM

If anyone knows how to open D5 I'm open for suggestions.

I would like to change the speed from 1 to 2 or 3.
a c 466 K Overclocking
October 15, 2012 9:50:00 PM

If you have a problem with your pump being very noisy at 3-5, you likely have other issues with it as well; either air, cavitation or a bad bearing. I would compare the noise output of my pump on level 5 to be less than a very low speed fan or hard drive while being accessed/written.

It all really comes down to what you consider 'noisy'.
October 16, 2012 5:39:35 AM

rubix_1011 said:
If you have a problem with your pump being very noisy at 3-5, you likely have other issues with it as well; either air, cavitation or a bad bearing. I would compare the noise output of my pump on level 5 to be less than a very low speed fan or hard drive while being accessed/written.

It all really comes down to what you consider 'noisy'.

Well my probelm now is that the internal speed knob is worn out so I can't even put it on 3-5.

I need suggestions how top open the pump and glue a volume knob to it.
a c 466 K Overclocking
October 16, 2012 3:20:07 PM

Quote:
Well my probelm now is that the internal speed knob is worn out so I can't even put it on 3-5.

Quote:
Thanks for that link, If I ever need increase pump speed I'll try to open up the pump

Thought this was your plan all along?
October 16, 2012 3:26:13 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for that link, If I ever need increase pump speed I'll try to open up the pump

Thought this was your plan all along?

Yes it is, I'm a bit time constraint right now, I have to read that link you posted and see if there is explanation how to open up the pump.

I'm time constraint and a bit drained messing with my PC, so I don't know when this will happen.
Eitherway the pump is running at Speed level 1 now and water is flowing through the system, I doubt the pump takes any damage on level 1 on a restricted system as mine(2rad and 2 gpus)?
a c 466 K Overclocking
October 17, 2012 12:13:06 AM

Do you need this closed now?
October 17, 2012 5:53:30 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Do you need this closed now?

Honestly that thread does not inform how to open the pump.

Maybe I can open it with cracking open with a thin flat scewdriver?
I'm a bit worried how to re-assemble it, maybe it's hold together with superglue?
a c 466 K Overclocking
October 17, 2012 1:49:03 PM

Quote:

You might not find every answer you are looking for- you might just have to try it and see. Most people never have to open the back of a pump like this, so there is likely very little information on someone actually documenting it.

It's likely glued- yes. I found all the info above simply by taking a decent amount of my time and using Google...that's my first suggestion for anyone with questions like this. What have you found in your searching so far? You've done a decent amount of complaining that someone else isn't finding the answers for you...but you haven't really posted anything that shows what you've found, either.

You might consider contacting Swiftech, Laing, Koolance, etc. or whomever label is on the rebranded D5 and see if they offer anything in the way of an RMA or replacement. In all honesty, if you had just left the speed control set and didn't mess with it so much, you likely wouldn't have the problem with a screwdriver not even working. Gluing a knob to the switch isn't likely to get you much further as it will likely pop off the first time you apply torque to it. It just might be time for a new pump, or find a speed you can live with, get it set, and just leave it. If your pump is as noisy as you claim, you just might have bigger issues with it than speed control...most people that I know with D5's say theirs are very quiet on 5 as well...they should barely be audible if you have your ear next to them and definitely shouldn't be heard over radiator or case fans.
October 17, 2012 2:06:07 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:

You might not find every answer you are looking for- you might just have to try it and see. Most people never have to open the back of a pump like this, so there is likely very little information on someone actually documenting it.

It's likely glued- yes. I found all the info above simply by taking a decent amount of my time and using Google...that's my first suggestion for anyone with questions like this. What have you found in your searching so far? You've done a decent amount of complaining that someone else isn't finding the answers for you...but you haven't really posted anything that shows what you've found, either.

You might consider contacting Swiftech, Laing, Koolance, etc. or whomever label is on the rebranded D5 and see if they offer anything in the way of an RMA or replacement. In all honesty, if you had just left the speed control set and didn't mess with it so much, you likely wouldn't have the problem with a screwdriver not even working. Gluing a knob to the switch isn't likely to get you much further as it will likely pop off the first time you apply torque to it. It just might be time for a new pump, or find a speed you can live with, get it set, and just leave it. If your pump is as noisy as you claim, you just might have bigger issues with it than speed control...most people that I know with D5's say theirs are very quiet on 5 as well...they should barely be audible if you have your ear next to them and definitely shouldn't be heard over radiator or case fans.

The reason why I have problem with the volume knob is not because of irresposibility, I bought it used and it came without the knob.
a c 466 K Overclocking
October 17, 2012 2:35:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Yes I know, but it's getting more and more difficult to adjust the speed, I think the inside white plastic is getting wear and tear so I need to put on a new speed knob.

I would say this indicates that you have worn it out through excessive use via screwdriver adjustment. It might be time to just buy a new pump, or find one being sold used. Speed adjustment knob gone, adjustment screw worn out and very loud pump noises don't come standard on good, working D5's.
October 17, 2012 2:49:13 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:

Quote:

I would say this indicates that you have worn it out through excessive use via screwdriver adjustment. It might be time to just buy a new pump, or find one being sold used. Speed adjustment knob gone, adjustment screw worn out and very loud pump noises don't come standard on good, working D5's.

Well it makes little noise at Level 1 and Level 2, I'll just keep running it until it breaks and then buy a new one.

I do have spare Laing DDC 1t pumps but those are even noisier.
a c 466 K Overclocking
October 17, 2012 3:02:30 PM

I'm curious, how noisy are each of these? Can you compare the noise level to something else for comparison? I have both pumps and both are very quiet to me. Maybe your perception of noise level is very different than mine.
October 17, 2012 3:44:03 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I'm curious, how noisy are each of these? Can you compare the noise level to something else for comparison? I have both pumps and both are very quiet to me. Maybe your perception of noise level is very different than mine.

I think it's a bit difficult because it was long time ago I had pump at anything else than Level 1 - Level 2.
However I do remember that even at Level 1 it had some noise until air went out of the pump.

Right now I'm pretty sure I have to run the Pump from external PSU with everything else off to be able to hear it, my 5 radiator fans are right now 250-300rpm, when putting the fancontrol to maximum (500rpm) they are clearly audible.
My CPU fan seems to be 900rpm push and 500rpm pull according to HWinfo64, I don't really hear them while sitting and surfing.

I would say my Laing D5 noise at Level 3-5 propably could still be heard with radiator fans at 500rpm, but as to if it's alot higher noise compared to my fans is now difficult to say as I can't increase the pump speed.

Also the radiator fans can make more perceived noise as 3 of them are external as seen on this picture(click for bigger)

a c 466 K Overclocking
October 17, 2012 5:54:05 PM

That's about as quiet as you are going to get...I really don't think you will find a pump that is more silent running than fans running less than 500rm. This just isn't a very realistic expectation...even with my rad fans completely turned off, I can hear my pump humming, but that is to be expected.

If you think your pump is 'loud' if you can compare it to very low speed fans...imagine what the stock air coolers on those GPUs would sound like at load? There has to be some sort of trade off and I think you have skewed expectations when it comes to pump noise.

If you put the side of your case back on, can you hear it? Do you always sit with your head right next to your case? Can it be moved?
October 17, 2012 8:44:03 PM

rubix_1011 said:
That's about as quiet as you are going to get...I really don't think you will find a pump that is more silent running than fans running less than 500rm. This just isn't a very realistic expectation...even with my rad fans completely turned off, I can hear my pump humming, but that is to be expected.

If you think your pump is 'loud' if you can compare it to very low speed fans...imagine what the stock air coolers on those GPUs would sound like at load? There has to be some sort of trade off and I think you have skewed expectations when it comes to pump noise.

If you put the side of your case back on, can you hear it? Do you always sit with your head right next to your case? Can it be moved?

At Level1 I think the pump can't be heard, maybe if I listen carefuly.
I put finger on it and it vibrates, I forgot to mention the pump is at Level 1 on my system.
It only makes short noise if I power on PC.

Unless the pump takes damage from running at Level 1 I don't see a reason for me to not run it at Level 1.
If I ever add a third GPU and replace the 2x 360 radiators with a 1080 radiator I might have to increase the speed to Level 2-3, I think Level 2 is acceptabel but dB adds to my understanding, so it might get noisy who knows.

Maybe my Scythe Slipstreams are getting wear and tear, I find them slightly annoying at 500rpm, but when not gaming crossfire I run them at 250-300rpm, then when I need the extra horsepower I put them to 500rpm.
a c 466 K Overclocking
October 17, 2012 8:54:22 PM

So you are wanting to run at the lowest speed setting for the sake of noise instead of at a higher speed for better head pressure, higher flow and better delta? You aren't going to damage it necessarily, but guess I really don't understand your logic at all when it comes to your pump situation.

You also didn't answer about putting the side back on the case or moving it off the desk. This would also make a difference in the amount of noise you hear.
a c 466 K Overclocking
October 18, 2012 3:09:20 PM

Closing this thread as it quickly got off-track; unrelated posts were removed.

If there are any problems with this decision, please send myself or another moderator a PM.