Sign in with
Your question
Closed

OK to disable RST at Windows startup?

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2012 11:25:34 PM

I want to uncheck unneeded items in my Windows 7 startup, but I'm really confused about the Intel Rapid Storage Technology thing as a number of people on this forum have advised installing the latest RST driver after installing a SSD which I did.

Is RST for use of SSD as a HD cache or for RAID? I'm doing neither with my SSD or HDD. Should I keep Intel Rapid Storage Technology in my startup?
a b å Intel
a c 152 G Storage
January 24, 2012 11:28:56 PM

RST will also warn you of a pending drive failure.

It is NOT needed(no SSD cache or raid, you can remove it if you wish or even just hide the icon), but may be nice to have. It also has a long delay in fully starting to avoid system performance issues.
Score
a b å Intel
a c 283 G Storage
January 25, 2012 12:38:47 AM

I agree with the nukemaster.

Is there any chance there might be a misunderstanding? If you have a motherboard with an Intel chipset, then it is usually the lastest Intel chipset drivers that are installed rather than Intel RST. It is easy to get thing mixed up. Happens to me all the time.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b å Intel
a c 523 G Storage
January 25, 2012 12:45:10 AM

Meganano said:
I want to uncheck unneeded items in my Windows 7 startup, but I'm really confused about the Intel Rapid Storage Technology thing as a number of people on this forum have advised installing the latest RST driver after installing a SSD which I did.

Is RST for use of SSD as a HD cache or for RAID? I'm doing neither with my SSD or HDD. Should I keep Intel Rapid Storage Technology in my startup?

Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) is a RAID & AHCI driver.

Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) is the software used to cache a HDD with an SSD.

You can keep Intel RST in your startup.
a b å Intel
a c 152 G Storage
January 25, 2012 1:32:01 AM

SRT is inside RST :p 
Score
January 25, 2012 4:17:58 PM

I think I was confusing SRT with RST. I have a P67 MB and as I understand the Z68 chipset is required for SRT. I'll leave the RST enabled. Thanks guys
Score
a b å Intel
a c 283 G Storage
January 25, 2012 5:39:33 PM

SRT and RST!!!

Confuses the heck out me too! :pt1cable: 
Score
a b å Intel
a c 152 G Storage
January 25, 2012 8:39:04 PM

RST just gets an extra tab on Z68 boards.

All the rest is the same.
Score
February 1, 2012 3:24:19 PM

Best answer selected by meganano.
Score
February 1, 2012 5:50:37 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!