Billing Issues?

Last response: in Network Providers
March 14, 2005 5:57:23 PM

Hi:

I'm new to this group. Greetings. I believe I have discovered a major
billing issue with Cingular that may affect hundreds of thousands across
the
US.

I'm on the phone with a cingular billing person now. The issue arises
when
you change plans during the month. In a nutshell, I upgraded my plan
around
February 20th. I increased from 850 to 1500 minutes and 750 text messages
to 1000.

Cingular began billing me .35 for day time calls (btw, at the end of
February I had 77 rollover minutes) and .10 for text messages! (2 of the
phone lines have 1,000 text messages per month) The billing person admits
should not have billed and is correcting this on 4 lines.

Maybe I'm wrong but it certainly appears that many, if not all, who change
plans during the month MAY be being billed too much.

Any comments?

Bob Lally

It has removed 953 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

More about : billing issues

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:57:24 PM

Bob L. Wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm new to this group. Greetings. I believe I have discovered a
> major
> billing issue with Cingular that may affect hundreds of thousands
> across
> the
> US.
>
> I'm on the phone with a cingular billing person now. The issue arises
> when
> you change plans during the month. In a nutshell, I upgraded my plan
> around
> February 20th. I increased from 850 to 1500 minutes and 750 text
> messages
> to 1000.
>
> Cingular began billing me .35 for day time calls (btw, at the end of
> February I had 77 rollover minutes) and .10 for text messages! (2 of
> the
> phone lines have 1,000 text messages per month) The billing person
> admits
> should not have billed and is correcting this on 4 lines.
>
> Maybe I'm wrong but it certainly appears that many, if not all, who
> change
> plans during the month MAY be being billed too much.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Bob Lally

> It has removed 953 spam emails to date.
> Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

First of all we advise customers as much as possible not to change rate
plans in the middle of the billing cycle, but not for that reason. When
customers change in the middle of the billing cycle, they receive
proration charges, and it's really confusing for the customer to
understand.

The cicumstance of which you are speaking is not the normal. You have
not discovered a glitch in the system. Typically, even if you switch
in the middle of a cycle, you won't have any errors on your bill, but
there are those rare times, when you will.

--
scott14661
March 14, 2005 10:16:08 PM

In article <nDhZd.135056$nC5.78639@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
"Bob L." <bob_lally@prophezine.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I'm new to this group. Greetings. I believe I have discovered a major
> billing issue with Cingular that may affect hundreds of thousands across
> the
> US.
>
> I'm on the phone with a cingular billing person now. The issue arises
> when
> you change plans during the month. In a nutshell, I upgraded my plan
> around
> February 20th. I increased from 850 to 1500 minutes and 750 text messages
> to 1000.
>
> Cingular began billing me .35 for day time calls (btw, at the end of
> February I had 77 rollover minutes) and .10 for text messages! (2 of the
> phone lines have 1,000 text messages per month) The billing person admits
> should not have billed and is correcting this on 4 lines.
>
> Maybe I'm wrong but it certainly appears that many, if not all, who change
> plans during the month MAY be being billed too much.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Bob Lally

Sounds like another WHOOPS charge.
March 14, 2005 10:16:09 PM

> Sounds like another WHOOPS charge.

Seems you have a new word to beat to death. It only makes one wonder where
you learned it- Mommy and Daddy been talking about your conception?
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:25:12 AM

"scott14661" <scott14661.1lw89z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> Bob L. Wrote:
SNIP

> The cicumstance of which you are speaking is not the normal. You have
> not discovered a glitch in the system. Typically, even if you switch
> in the middle of a cycle, you won't have any errors on your bill, but
> there are those rare times, when you will.
>

> --
> scott14661

Well I don't know about it being rare or not, but I had a similar problem
when I made changes to my plan in the middle of the billing period. I didn't
actually change the plan but rather corrected a mistake Cingular made at the
time the service was initiated. They took my old ATT number and instead of
making it the primary to the account they made it the $9.99 add-on to a
family plan. The second phone, which was an altogether new number was made
the primary for the $59 Family Plan. I called and Cingular cheerfully agreed
to make the correction, however when I got my next bill they had pro-rated
each phone AND had charged me the one month in advance all over again.

Cingular once again very cheerfully made the corrections and credited the
account for the incorrect charges. I am finding that you really have to keep
an eye on your bill for those 'rare' mistakes.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:30:07 AM

I don't think this is a problem.

As far as i know, if you change plan in mid-month, your monthly allowance is
prorated for the number of days you were on each plan. If you exceed those
minutes, then you are billed. For example, if you are billed from 1st to
30th and have 1000 minutes, and you change on the 15th, then for the first
part of the month you have only 500 minutes allowed. If you used 600 min
for the first 15 days, you would be billed for the 100 minute overage.
That's how the billing system works. Cingular will manually adjust and look
back at your total monthly usage to see if you were within total monthly
allowed minutes.

The billing software does not look at your circumstances, it just acts on
the logic that was programmed. That is the reason that Cingular only likes
to change your plan on the first day of the next billing cycle. Otherwise,
people could use their phone and run up minutes without care then change
plan on the last day of the month.

I think that rollover minutes from Cingular is a very fair way of billing
because it allows you to normalize your usage over one year. With other
carriers, if you exceed your plan minutes by 1000 in Feb but only used 1
minute in January, you get hit with an enormous Feb bill.

"Bob L." <bob_lally@prophezine.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I'm new to this group. Greetings. I believe I have discovered a major
> billing issue with Cingular that may affect hundreds of thousands across
> the
> US.
>
> I'm on the phone with a cingular billing person now. The issue arises
> when
> you change plans during the month. In a nutshell, I upgraded my plan
> around
> February 20th. I increased from 850 to 1500 minutes and 750 text messages
> to 1000.
>
> Cingular began billing me .35 for day time calls (btw, at the end of
> February I had 77 rollover minutes) and .10 for text messages! (2 of the
> phone lines have 1,000 text messages per month) The billing person admits
> should not have billed and is correcting this on 4 lines.
>
> Maybe I'm wrong but it certainly appears that many, if not all, who change
> plans during the month MAY be being billed too much.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Bob Lally

> It has removed 953 spam emails to date.
> Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:42:05 PM

Hi:

Please do not misunderstand. We first signed up with cingular 12/24 with
4
lines. I have changed our plan on several occasions adding additional
features, changing features as specials appear, etc. In all cases the
customer service has been outstanding.

I am not displeased with Cingular but only the billing problems that have
occurred since 12/24.

I fully understand rollover minutes and the advantage. The problem with
the
billing is I had 77 rollover minutes for the month of February rolled over
to March. Since this is the case, why would Cingular BILL me $.35 for
daytime calls for a 5-6 day period? I'm talking about a $309 bill for 1
month that should be about $150.

The logic is followed quite well - but the billing logic is flawed. I can
get this fixed easily enough - how many others will not notice an
additional
$10-$20 accidentally billed?

Bob

"Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote in message
news:p MrZd.21804$OU1.14155@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> [...]
messages
> > to 1000.
> >
> > Cingular began billing me .35 for day time calls (btw, at the end of
> > February I had 77 rollover minutes) and .10 for text messages! (2 of
the
> > phone lines have 1,000 text messages per month) The billing person
admits
> > should not have billed and is correcting this on 4 lines.
> >
> > Maybe I'm wrong but it certainly appears that many, if not all, who
change
> > plans during the month MAY be being billed too much.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> > Bob Lally
> >

> > --
> > I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
> > It has removed 953 spam emails to date.
> > Paying users do not have this message in their emails.

It has removed 1062 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:03:35 PM

> The logic is followed quite well - but the billing logic is flawed. I can
> get this fixed easily enough - how many others will not notice an
> additional
> $10-$20 accidentally billed?

That's the reason Cingular normally will normally not change plans in the
middle of a billing cycle (unless you insist).

Adding features is usually not a program.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:16:58 PM

Correction. I'm typing too fast.
--------

That's the reason Cingular will normally not change plans in the
middle of a billing cycle (unless you insist).

Adding features is usually not a problem.

>> The logic is followed quite well - but the billing logic is flawed. I
>> can
>> get this fixed easily enough - how many others will not notice an
>> additional
>> $10-$20 accidentally billed?
>>

> That's the reason Cingular normally will normally not change plans in the
> middle of a billing cycle (unless you insist).
>
> Adding features is usually not a program.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 5:41:37 PM

Now, I wish I had waited! I did get them to remove $60 in billing errors
though.

Thanks.

> Correction. I'm typing too fast.
> --------
>
> That's the reason Cingular will normally not change plans in the
> middle of a billing cycle (unless you insist).
>
> Adding features is usually not a problem.
>

> "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote in message
> > >
> >> The logic is followed quite well - but the billing logic is flawed.
> >> can
> >> get this fixed easily enough - how many others will not notice an
> >> additional
> >> $10-$20 accidentally billed?
> >>

> > That's the reason Cingular normally will normally not change plans in
the
> > middle of a billing cycle (unless you insist).
> >
> > Adding features is usually not a program.

It has removed 1087 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 3:52:43 PM

There's a NEW invention that WILL allow Cingular to change plans in the
middle of a Billing period without billing errors.

It's call a COMPUTER.

Cingular needs to rattle some cages of however wrote the software of
their billing systems.

In article <BAXZd.83511$vK5.22556@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
"Bob L." <bob_lally@prophezine.com> wrote:

> Now, I wish I had waited! I did get them to remove $60 in billing errors
> though.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob
>

> "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote in message
> > Correction. I'm typing too fast.
> > --------
> >
> > That's the reason Cingular will normally not change plans in the
> > middle of a billing cycle (unless you insist).
> >
> > Adding features is usually not a problem.
> >

> > "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote in message

> > > That's the reason Cingular normally will normally not change plans in
> the
> > > middle of a billing cycle (unless you insist).
> > >
> > > Adding features is usually not a program.

> It has removed 1087 spam emails to date.
> Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 3:34:08 AM

L David Matheny wrote:
> If they have the right to record the call, then so do I.

The law doesn't necessarily agree. <http://www.rcfp.org/taping/&gt;
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:45:59 AM

> I paid it just to put an end to
> the phone calls, then they tell me they have no record of the payment. I'm
> holding the freakin' cancelled check in my hand and they insist they never
> got paid.

Doesn't Cingular use an autodebit system when it comes to cheques, that
cheques would not be physically returned to the bank? I remember
getting a letter from Cingular stating that I could terminate my
contract if I didn't agree to the way it would start processing cheques.
I think I got the letter in early 2003.

TH
March 18, 2005 5:16:16 PM

Yea, try Schmerber vs. The State of California too. me think's circa-1974

Don't try to impress me when I'm pissed. I went to college too, I watch
Dennis Miller's rants, I like them too.
I would prob. buy you a beer in a bar and laugh it off.... Not now this
is my turn to be heard. It's not much, but it's a voice.

"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
>L David Matheny wrote:
>> If they have the right to record the call, then so do I.
>
> The law doesn't necessarily agree. <http://www.rcfp.org/taping/&gt;
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 6:50:02 PM

"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message news:0c9qg2-htr.ln1@remote.clifto.com...
> L David Matheny wrote:
> > If they have the right to record the call, then so do I.
>
> The law doesn't necessarily agree. <http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

OK, there's a good chance (depending on which states are involved)
that neither of us has the legal right to record the other without consent.
My point is that if they expect me to consent to being recorded, then
they should consent to my recording the conversation, too. When
two parties make a contract, each gets a copy.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 11:16:28 AM

Yup, as long as at least one of the partys in a call knows the call is
being recored, it is legal. If none of the partys in a call knows the
call is being recorded, that takes a court order.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 2:31:53 PM

RDF wrote:
> "clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote...
>>L David Matheny wrote:
>>> If they have the right to record the call, then so do I.
>>
>> The law doesn't necessarily agree. <http://www.rcfp.org/taping/&gt;

> Yea, try Schmerber vs. The State of California too. me think's circa-1974
>
> Don't try to impress me when I'm pissed. I went to college too, I watch
> Dennis Miller's rants, I like them too.
> I would prob. buy you a beer in a bar and laugh it off.... Not now this
> is my turn to be heard. It's not much, but it's a voice.

Not trying to impress you. The site surprised me, actually, since I had
thought that my state was a one-party state (i.e. only one party needs
to permit the recording).

Not trying to scare you with arrest, fines, either. The problem arises
when you show up in court to fight Cingular, and it takes them ten whole
seconds to get the recording dismissed as inadmissible evidence. I'd
hate to see you fighting the good fight and getting stifled so easily.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 2:33:39 PM

L David Matheny wrote:
> "clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message news:0c9qg2-htr.ln1@remote.clifto.com...
>> L David Matheny wrote:
>> > If they have the right to record the call, then so do I.
>>
>> The law doesn't necessarily agree. <http://www.rcfp.org/taping/
>>
> OK, there's a good chance (depending on which states are involved)
> that neither of us has the legal right to record the other without consent.
> My point is that if they expect me to consent to being recorded, then
> they should consent to my recording the conversation, too. When
> two parties make a contract, each gets a copy.

Logically you're faultless. Legally I'd bet you're out of luck.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 7:29:36 PM

"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message news:alo0h2-7hr.ln1@remote.clifto.com...
<snip>
> Not trying to scare you with arrest, fines, either. The problem arises
> when you show up in court to fight Cingular, and it takes them ten whole
> seconds to get the recording dismissed as inadmissible evidence. I'd
> hate to see you fighting the good fight and getting stifled so easily.

The tape would have to contain your statement that you are taping
and a statement by Cingular's agent that he has no problem with that.
If both parties agree to the recording, why would it be inadmissible?
If he objects to taping, then you wouldn't be in court at all because
no business would be done by phone, but rather all by written forms.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 2:36:27 PM

L David Matheny wrote:
> "clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote:
>> Not trying to scare you with arrest, fines, either. The problem arises
>> when you show up in court to fight Cingular
>>
> The tape would have to contain your statement that you are taping
> and a statement by Cingular's agent that he has no problem with that.

That would work. But OP's statement "If they have the right to record
the call, then so do I" didn't sound like he was going to ask permission.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 8:26:48 PM

In <3a67v9F67mnt8U1@individual.net> on Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:29:36 -0500, "L
David Matheny" <ldmnews1@netassoc.net> wrote:

>"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message news:alo0h2-7hr.ln1@remote.clifto.com...
><snip>
>> Not trying to scare you with arrest, fines, either. The problem arises
>> when you show up in court to fight Cingular, and it takes them ten whole
>> seconds to get the recording dismissed as inadmissible evidence. I'd
>> hate to see you fighting the good fight and getting stifled so easily.
>>
>The tape would have to contain your statement that you are taping

That would be best, but all that's required is notice, and the notice doesn't
have to be recorded.

>and a statement by Cingular's agent that he has no problem with that.

Consent could be implied if Cingular's agent continued the call after being
informed.

CAVEAT: I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

March 23, 2005 8:29:12 PM

In <3a0st9F66q0p9U1@individual.net> on Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:50:02 -0500, "L
David Matheny" <ldmnews1@netassoc.net> wrote:

>"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message news:0c9qg2-htr.ln1@remote.clifto.com...
>> L David Matheny wrote:
>> > If they have the right to record the call, then so do I.
>>
>> The law doesn't necessarily agree. <http://www.rcfp.org/taping/
>>
>OK, there's a good chance (depending on which states are involved)
>that neither of us has the legal right to record the other without consent.
>My point is that if they expect me to consent to being recorded, then
>they should consent to my recording the conversation, too. When
>two parties make a contract, each gets a copy.

When you've been advised that the call may be recorded, then I think you have
a legal right to make a recording as well, but consult your own lawyer -- I'm
not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

March 24, 2005 10:08:06 AM

Tony Clark Wrote:
> "scott14661" scott14661.1lw89z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net wrote in
> message
>
> Bob L. Wrote:-
> SNIP
> -
>
> The cicumstance of which you are speaking is not the normal. You
> have
> not discovered a glitch in the system. Typically, even if you switch
> in the middle of a cycle, you won't have any errors on your bill, but
> there are those rare times, when you will.
>

> --
> scott14661-
>
> Well I don't know about it being rare or not, but I had a similar
> problem
> when I made changes to my plan in the middle of the billing period. I
> didn't
> actually change the plan but rather corrected a mistake Cingular made
> at the
> time the service was initiated. They took my old ATT number and instead
> of
> making it the primary to the account they made it the $9.99 add-on to
> family plan. The second phone, which was an altogether new number was
> made
> the primary for the $59 Family Plan. I called and Cingular cheerfully
> agreed
> to make the correction, however when I got my next bill they had
> pro-rated
> each phone AND had charged me the one month in advance all over again.
>
> Cingular once again very cheerfully made the corrections and credited
> the
> account for the incorrect charges. I am finding that you really have to
> keep
> an eye on your bill for those 'rare' mistakes.
>
> Cheers
> TC
If you change the primari line you are going to get a prorated charge
and new month in advance becuase it is a different line that has the
higher price....If you were to cancel one of the lines and it diddn't
have the correct month in advance then it will not cover your last bill
for that line....anything you do in the middle of the cycle WILL BE
PRORATED!!!! Do it on the first day of cycle..

Travis (customer care rep)

--
tomcat592
Anonymous

Tony Clark Wrote:
> "scott14661" scott14661.1lw89z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net wrote in
> message
>
> Bob L. Wrote:-
> SNIP
> -
>
> The cicumstance of which you are speaking is not the normal. You
> have
> not discovered a glitch in the system. Typically, even if you switch
> in the middle of a cycle, you won't have any errors on your bill, but
> there are those rare times, when you will.
>

> --
> scott14661-
>
> Well I don't know about it being rare or not, but I had a similar
> problem
> when I made changes to my plan in the middle of the billing period. I
> didn't
> actually change the plan but rather corrected a mistake Cingular made
> at the
> time the service was initiated. They took my old ATT number and instead
> of
> making it the primary to the account they made it the $9.99 add-on to
> family plan. The second phone, which was an altogether new number was
> made
> the primary for the $59 Family Plan. I called and Cingular cheerfully
> agreed
> to make the correction, however when I got my next bill they had
> pro-rated
> each phone AND had charged me the one month in advance all over again.
>
> Cingular once again very cheerfully made the corrections and credited
> the
> account for the incorrect charges. I am finding that you really have to
> keep
> an eye on your bill for those 'rare' mistakes.
>
> Cheers
> TC
test message

--
tomcat592
Anonymous

"tomcat592" <tomcat592.1me0r2@news.cellbanter.com> wrote in message

> Tony Clark Wrote:
>> "scott14661" scott14661.1lw89z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net wrote in
>> message
>>
>> Bob L. Wrote:-
>> SNIP
>> -
>>
>> The cicumstance of which you are speaking is not the normal. You
>> have
>> not discovered a glitch in the system. Typically, even if you switch
>> in the middle of a cycle, you won't have any errors on your bill, but
>> there are those rare times, when you will.
>>

>> --
>> scott14661-
>>
>> Well I don't know about it being rare or not, but I had a similar
>> problem
>> when I made changes to my plan in the middle of the billing period. I
>> didn't
>> actually change the plan but rather corrected a mistake Cingular made
>> at the
>> time the service was initiated. They took my old ATT number and instead
>> of
>> making it the primary to the account they made it the $9.99 add-on to
>> family plan. The second phone, which was an altogether new number was
>> made
>> the primary for the $59 Family Plan. I called and Cingular cheerfully
>> agreed
>> to make the correction, however when I got my next bill they had
>> pro-rated
>> each phone AND had charged me the one month in advance all over again.
>>
>> Cingular once again very cheerfully made the corrections and credited
>> the
>> account for the incorrect charges. I am finding that you really have to
>> keep
>> an eye on your bill for those 'rare' mistakes.
>>
>> Cheers
>> TC
> If you change the primari line you are going to get a prorated charge
> and new month in advance becuase it is a different line that has the
> higher price....If you were to cancel one of the lines and it diddn't
> have the correct month in advance then it will not cover your last bill
> for that line....anything you do in the middle of the cycle WILL BE
> PRORATED!!!! Do it on the first day of cycle..
>
> Travis (customer care rep)

I did just that, to avoid the confusion. Do you think it went off like it
was supposed to? Of course not! I changed from family plan 850 with two
9.99 lines to the 2000 plan. When I opened my first bill I was floored.
$550! They had converted only one phone to the plan, and left the others on
the 850 plan. I called the toll free Corp #. (I got this # from a young
lady because I had to file a complaint with the FCC last year). Anyway, I
got the rep on the phone and we started doing the math, and it just didn't
add up. However she was firm in the fact of gouging me for the entire
amount. After 3 calls I understood I was getting no where, so I called 611.
The gentleman I spoke with, was very helpful, and he could not understand
why the other lady could not see the mistakes. After about 5 minutes we got
my bill down to $118.97, along with credits I was due. That is a far cry
from $550 don't you think? All this because I wanted to avoid the problems
with changing plans in the middle of the month.
I have found for every ONE rep you find to be knowledgeable, you have 10
that do not have a clue.

Mike
!