BSOD during Windows 7 Professional install

greg86z28

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
I just built my first computer and am now attempting to do an install of Windows 7 Professional (64 bit). I am encountering BSOD during the install.

I downloaded the ISO and burned it to disc and had BSOD issues. At first I thought possibly that it was the ISO or the burn, but now I am using a disk that has been used successfully on other computers.

My specs are as follows

Gigabyte P55-UD4P (F3 bios)
Intel i5 750
4 GB of Crucial DDR3 RAM (2x2GB)
WD Caviar Black 640 GB Hard drive
Sapphire Radeon 5850HD

I have adjusted the BIOS to boot to the DVD drive first. In addition, the BIOS came not set to AHIC (I think that is what it is called. I heard that it can cause problems.) I have made no changes in the BIOS.

I have encountered BSOD at different times. First I got it during the Windows 7 installation, at 1%. Now I've gotten it before you are even able to select the language to install it in (the first screen you are presented with I believe).

I have gotten different errors, but unfortunatly I only wrote one of them down, the most recent. It says "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" and the tech info says: "STOP: 0x00000050"

I really don't know exactly where to start to troubleshoot this. I really don't know if it's a hardware or software issue.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

First, flash your BIOS to version F6... F3 must be the original shipping version of the BIOS, as it doesn't even appear on Gigabyte's download list for your board:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3160#anchor_os

Second, you are thinking of AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface). AHCI enables certain advanced features for hard drives connected a controller supporting it, such as hot-plugging and Native Command Queuing (NCQ). Generally, one should turn AHCI on, as NCQ does provide performance benefits under certain circumstances.

As for the error itself, the 0x50 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA bluescreen typically points to things like RAM problems, though if one of the un-documented enhancements of that new BIOS I mentioned earlier is improved RAM compatibility, you should go for that first. Grab the Ultimate Boot CD (www.ultimatebootcd.com) and run MemTest86+. Run through a couple passes on your RAM to see if there are any defective sticks. If that doesn't work Run some of the hard drive diagnostic tools included on the UBCD disk and see if they pick up anything wrong with your hard drive.

greg86z28

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and created the UBCD and ran the memtest. First with all 4GB of RAM, which failed. Then I ran it with one 2GB stick, and it again failed. I removed that and tried again with the other 2GB strip and it then passed through two passes flawlessly. I attempted to install windows 7 at this point and the installation completed problem free.

I did not flash the BIOS, yet. Should I still do it? I was a little uneasy on what to do. I don't have a floppy drive, which seems to be the easiest way to do it. I did not feel informed enough after reading up on how to do it using a CD or USB drive. I did not want to risk Mobo damage. Maybe there are some better articles that I missed.

In addition, the site you linked me to for the BIOS was the .tw site (Taiwan?). It does list an F6 version although the .us (United States?) only lists the F5 as the newest version.

Also, Crucial should send me a new stick of RAM correct? Unfortunately, I threw away the packaging, but I still have the packing list and online receipt (bought off NewEgg). It was a 2 pack, 2GB sticks.

Thanks again for the help.

Greg

I would contact Corsair to let them know that one stick has failed from a set that you purchased. Technically, I think you are supposed to return both sticks in the set, but give them a call to confirm whether you have to return both or not (it's been a long time since I've had to return RAM).

With regards to the BIOS, I would flash it anyway... but it's much easier to do now than it was 5 or 10 years ago.

All you need to do is put the .ROM file on a flash drive and plug it in. Reboot your computer and enter your BIOS. There should be an option to enter the Q-Flash utility. It should be fairly obvious as to how to flash the BIOS from within Q-Flash. Gigabyte boards also have a feature where they have a backup BIOS chip that contains a backup copy of your current BIOS. If anything goes wrong with the flash procedure, the BIOS data from the backup chip is restored, and your system remains functional.

If you're still not comfortable doing it though, ask a friend who is more experienced with BIOS flashing to help you out.