Closed

Turn on System Restore from the command line

October 15, 2004 2:09:15 PM

Is there a way to start the System Restore service from the command line once
it's been stopped via My Computer/Properties/System Restore/Turn off System
Restore? When I try starting it with the command net start srservice, I get
the following message:
The System Restore Service service is starting.
The System Restore Service service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

If I stop the service through the Services Control Panel or NET STOP
command, I can restart it with the above command. The problem only happens
if I first disable through the GUI.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 3:15:34 AM

Grant wrote:

> Is there a way to start the System Restore service from the command line once
> it's been stopped via My Computer/Properties/System Restore/Turn off System
> Restore? When I try starting it with the command net start srservice, I get
> the following message:
> The System Restore Service service is starting.
> The System Restore Service service could not be started.
>
> The service did not report an error.
>
> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.
>
> If I stop the service through the Services Control Panel or NET STOP
> command, I can restart it with the above command. The problem only happens
> if I first disable through the GUI.
Hi

For a VBScript solution, see "Enable Full System Restore" here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/d...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
May 16, 2013 10:41:51 AM

From Windows command line we can edit this registry key by running the following command.

Reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore" /v DisableSR /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

To enable System restore from command line you can run the below command:

Reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore" /v DisableSR /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Disable System restore service from command line

We can disable system restore service from command line using the below command.
sc config srservice start= disabled

To enable system restore service from command line you can run the below command.
sc config srservice start= Auto
May 16, 2013 11:47:30 AM

Umm, Taz? That was nine years ago. Good information, but please leave threads that are long gone stale to rest in peace. Thanks.
!