Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • NAS / RAID
  • Partition
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 25, 2012 12:59:58 AM

Hi Guys,

I have two HDD (1TB each) configured into a RAID 0. I have made partitions C (1 TB, used as main drive for OS) and D (1 TB, used as secondary drive data storage).

Say if drive C got hit with a virus and I have to reformat. When reformatting and installing Window 7 onto C, will the stored data in drive D be wiped out?

Hope get to your experience or thoughts on this.

Thanks,

More about : reformatting raid partition

a b G Storage
January 25, 2012 1:26:38 AM

As long as you only format the C drive, the D drive will be fine. Also, DO NOT change the partitions in any way. . .
m
l
January 25, 2012 1:32:45 AM

Thanks for response...

One second thought...Should I break up RAID 0 and run the two drives as independent with drive C with the OS...

I have been reading a lot of issues with RAID 0 configuration on loss data and I am having doubt if I should still stick with RAID 0...

I am using my PC for gaming...
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2012 1:32:59 AM

Thanks for response...

One second thought...Should I break up RAID 0 and run the two drives as independent with drive C with the OS...

I have been reading a lot of issues with RAID 0 configuration on loss data and I am having doubt if I should still stick with RAID 0...

I am using my PC for gaming...
m
l
a b G Storage
January 25, 2012 6:20:35 PM

RAID 0 will get you faster reads and writes, which will help with games which load levels. Yes, with RAID 0 a single drive failure will result in the loss of all your data, but that is why you perform regular backups right? ;) 
m
l
!