Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Help with Overclocking i5 3570K (Step by step)

Last response: in Overclocking
September 22, 2012 4:18:15 AM

Hello everyone

So I got my system all up and running and I need help to overclock my CPU

Here's my rig

Core i5 3570K
MSI Z77-GD45
Kingston 1600MHz
2 TB HDD
Asus GTX 670 DC2
CoolIt Eco R120
CoolerMaster HAF X M
1080p monitor
Win 7 HE 64x

I tried to do overclocking and CPU Z still read stock speed and reads my ram at 800MHz.. I kept on trying with OC Genie and when I get to windows it still shows 3.4 and not 4.5 GHz..Can someone please give me a better way to do this. And yes I disabled and enabled all the necessary stuff. Thanks for the help
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 22, 2012 4:36:32 AM

I found the Overclock Genie not to work at all for me and got rid of the board after the cpu socket styarted smoking. MSI is not the best for overclocking so you need to be careful.
I would start out with a mild overclock and take the cpu ratio(multiplier) and increase it bit by bit with going into Windows and testing in between to verify stability. You should be able to get up to 4 ghz without adding any voltage , if you decide to go higher then you can keep doing the same thing untill you get to Windows being unstable when tested under stress. At that point you would need to add a bit of voltage and that bit would be a very small amount just enough to et Windows stable continue testing and keeping an eye on the temps untill you reach your target speed .
m
l
September 22, 2012 4:39:12 AM

inzone said:
I found the Overclock Genie not to work at all for me and got rid of the board after the cpu socket styarted smoking. MSI is not the best for overclocking so you need to be careful.
I would start out with a mild overclock and take the cpu ratio(multiplier) and increase it bit by bit with going into Windows and testing in between to verify stability. You should be able to get up to 4 ghz without adding any voltage , if you decide to go higher then you can keep doing the same thing untill you get to Windows being unstable when tested under stress. At that point you would need to add a bit of voltage and that bit would be a very small amount just enough to et Windows stable continue testing and keeping an eye on the temps untill you reach your target speed .

Thanks for the reply. I tried that but the CPU-Z still shows me stock speed. Do I need to run stress test to confirm the OC?
m
l
Related resources
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 22, 2012 4:43:47 AM

You should always run stress tests to confirm or even brun in the OC.
m
l
September 22, 2012 12:37:10 PM

Morning bud. I run the stress test all night until this point. And it seems ok but fans are loud as heck even after I stopped it. I go to 4.0GHz and GPU at 1200MHz/6200MHz stable and no issues. Is there a program that I can download to monitor and tweak fans speed or should I just buy a fan controller?

BTW. The CPU temps maxed out at 62 degrees Celsius at 1.2 v and GPU at 57 degrees Celsius with full load for 8 hrs. And OC Genie worked this time.
m
l
September 22, 2012 2:19:26 PM

inzone said:
You should always run stress tests to confirm or even brun in the OC.

Morning bud. I run the stress test all night until this point. And it seems ok but fans are loud as heck even after I stopped it. I go to 4.0GHz and GPU at 1200MHz/6200MHz stable and no issues. Is there a program that I can download to monitor and tweak fans speed or should I just buy a fan controller?

BTW. The CPU temps maxed out at 62 degrees Celsius at 1.2 v and GPU at 57 degrees Celsius with full load for 8 hrs. And OC Genie worked this time.
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 22, 2012 5:17:44 PM

A fan controler gives you the best control over the fans and there are software programs that you can download and you can even control the fans through the bios by setting different options for the bios to use. I prefer to use a fan controler because when I go to play a game I can turn up the fans before I start to give the cooling a head start.
m
l
September 22, 2012 5:43:04 PM

inzone said:
A fan controler gives you the best control over the fans and there are software programs that you can download and you can even control the fans through the bios by setting different options for the bios to use. I prefer to use a fan controler because when I go to play a game I can turn up the fans before I start to give the cooling a head start.

I just grabbed a couple of spectre by bitfenix and I will make the CPU cooler with push and pull. And I just ordered a fan controller. Running at 4.2 GHZ stable with stress test. So I'll take it gradually to 4.5 and I'm assuming I will have to tweak the voltages then.
m
l

Best solution

a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 22, 2012 8:51:00 PM

You only need to add voltage if Windows becomes unstable and if you move up to 4.3 ghz and it's stable then test again and if ok then raise again to 4.4 ghz and test and if ok test again to make sure then raise again to 4.5 ghz if testing is unstable then add the next click of voltage and that should make it stable. When you have reached your target overclock speed then test several times and run Prime 95 for 12 hours or more to burn in the OC. Then save the settings in the bios as a OC profile so if the bios resets for some reason you can just load your profile.
September 23, 2012 12:30:50 AM

Best answer selected by hero1.
m
l
!