Your question

Need to find custom laptop cooler for heavy overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
September 22, 2012 4:32:57 AM

I have a alineware m17x r3.

i72840qm
7970m
16gb ram

A buddy of mine that works for dell "alienware" unlocked my bios.

I have done some major overclocking to gpu ram and cpu, My temps are horrible.

here is the picture of the bottom of my laptop.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=alienware+m17x+r3+bottom...

I would like to know if there is any laptop cooler that will work with this or if anyone know anyone who can build me a custom one.
September 23, 2012 11:38:45 PM

lolalienware.

I have the bigger version of that cooler, the U3, that I used on a Qosmio X505 and it made a small improvement, nothing much. Since it's 2 (or in my case, 3) fans being run off a single USB, they're incredibly low power and airflow, but the design for directing the airflow is perfect. If you could mod them slightly, up the voltage or something, or replace them altogether with much more effective fans (while keeping the mounting "clips"), even though they'll require a separate PSU or a ton of USB ports, I think it would work quite well. Delta fans anyone? :p 

Otherwise I saw someone watercool his laptop with a Thermaltake Tidewater. No idea how accessible your CPU/GPU are, but that might be an option. I know it exists in my future. (For a different laptop, the Qosmio is obsolete for my use now)
m
l
Related resources
September 25, 2012 5:28:26 AM

cia24 said:
I have a alineware m17x r3.

i72840qm
7970m
16gb ram

A buddy of mine that works for dell "alienware" unlocked my bios.

I have done some major overclocking to gpu ram and cpu, My temps are horrible.

here is the picture of the bottom of my laptop.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=alienware+m17x+r3+bottom...

I would like to know if there is any laptop cooler that will work with this or if anyone know anyone who can build me a custom one.

dude is it woth it? Well you like umm get more fps? 10 fps? 15 fps? And will you even see the diffrence? OCing a laptop is pretty much dangerous considering you have one thats cost more than $1000 and even with the part you will buy i dont think there will be that big improvment on temp
so yeah either water cooling them if you can or simply dont
your specs r really good
keep asking yourself if it is worth it really
m
l
!