Sign in with
Your question

2.5" 2TB hard drive??

Last response: in Storage
January 25, 2012 2:43:14 AM

Hey guys,
I got told by a manufacturer that he's got 2.5" 2TB hard drives. But I've also been told by others thats not possible?

Anyone know anything about hard drives who could perhaps tell me if I'm being ripped off or not?

Thanks for your time.

More about : 2tb hard drive

January 25, 2012 2:50:40 AM

I believe 1.5TB is currently the largest 2.5" HD available. And even then I'm pretty sure it's a 12.5mm drive designed for external enclosures, not a 9.5mm HDD suitable for use in laptops. 1TB is the largest 2.5" 9.5mm drive I am aware of. (Unless something just recently came out)

m
l
February 5, 2012 5:09:03 PM

I bought 2 seagate 1.5tb 2.5 inch hard drives but they r too big to put into a dual hdd enclosure (caldigit, akitio mini Taurus). They only fit up to 12.5mm drives; these seagates r over 14mm! Had to resell those drives. Can't find a dual hdd enclosure that can accommodate (and still be bus driven).
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2012 10:12:07 AM

Hi Guys,

Can you tell me brand and model of the 1.5 and 2TB 2.5'' HDD's?

I need them for a server but i cant find them; based on the measures you have posted, they should fit.

Thanks!!
m
l
February 10, 2012 8:12:48 PM

The only 2.5" HDD's larger that 1TB that you can buy right now are external drives. Newegg 1.5TB external 2.5" HDD's

While you most likely could remove them from their enclosures for use internally if you wanted to, it would certainly not be their intended use, and may cause complications.

Also, true servers usually use SAS interface HDD's, rather than SATA, which puts you into a whole other category in regards to price/size/performance/etc. Is this just a home server you are trying to build for streaming video's etc, or a true enterprise server? If it's a home server just go with some standard 3.5" 2-3TB HDD's, if it's more than that you reall should start your own topic with some more details of your needs/budget and so forth.
m
l
May 12, 2012 4:55:30 PM

I don't think it is a dual disk, I believe that model is the new 12.5mm 2TB drive recently released. It COULD be a 15mm drive, though. I sacrificed a Seagate 1.5tb drive to put into my HP Pavilion 2 drive laptop, a close fit (the drive panel underneath bulges a little) but has been working fine for a week. And I now have 2 tb of space (500gb and the 1.5gb drives).

I'm looking for something bigger, and the WD model listed above could be the ticket, but only because a 12.5mm drive barely fits my laptop.

Everyone else is right, the ONLY 9mm drives available in TB range are 1tb at 5400 RPM.

If you just want an external and USB only powered that might do the trick.

- Qlippoth
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 29, 2012 7:25:30 PM

Mithol said:
Hey guys,
I got told by a manufacturer that he's got 2.5" 2TB hard drives. But I've also been told by others thats not possible?

Anyone know anything about hard drives who could perhaps tell me if I'm being ripped off or not?

Thanks for your time.

Buddy,
I bought the WD 2Tb 2.5'' hdd for my enclosure and guess what.....it's so thick (nearly thick as 2 2.5'' WD 1TB hdd) that there is or was noway this'll fit in any 2.5'' enclosures. Infact, I bought it for my Gauntlet Node enclosure and yes, I was shocked too that it would'nt fit. I returned the hdd back due to incompatibility. So watch out what you want to use it for! Better not be for a ps3 as there's noway that'll fit.
m
l
February 10, 2013 6:23:27 AM

Here:

http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/U32-M.html

That will fit the 15mm 2.5" drives.

On the side, I currently run a 640GB RAID1 in their DataTale case solely off of 1 USB3.0/eSATA combo port with a cable that splits into an eSATA plug + a power plug into the enclosure. Use slow spinup with jumpers and its great. These guys carry good products.
m
l
June 3, 2013 4:58:39 PM

Mithol said:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your time.

Found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 16, 2013 12:24:28 PM

mwilliam13 said:
Mithol said:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your time.

Found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This product is 15mm high, far too thick for a standard laptop.
m
l
!