Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Processor overheating after adding case fan

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 22, 2012 7:50:37 AM

I recently bought and installed a DEEPCOOL WIND BLADE cooler..

Before i installed the fan the processor temps were 40c-42c on idle n 70c-74c on full load

After installing the new fan the idle temps are the same but the full load temps exceed 80c

I have 3 case fans now... one in front which is the new one and is outtake, the one on the side is intake and one on the rear is outtake as well..

I also changed the sides of the rear and side fan to intake and before they were outtake..

where am i wrong here ?
September 22, 2012 7:53:24 AM

Basically, fans should be set to front, and side intake, rear and top exhaust. Try turning the front one around, you have it the wrong way.
edit, also turn your rear fan back to exhaust.
m
0
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
September 22, 2012 9:10:01 AM

You may have installed it wrong.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 22, 2012 9:19:46 AM

amuffin said:
You may have installed it wrong.


How can the installation increase the temps ? If its installed wrongly than the temps shld remain the same... shouldnt they ?
m
0
l
September 22, 2012 10:20:21 AM

Incorrectly installed fans, or too many fans can cause turbulent airflow, meaning the hot air does not exhaust and just spirals around inside the case building heat.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2012 10:29:21 AM

5 degrees isnt much and like the rest above have said can make all difference :) 
m
0
l
September 22, 2012 10:32:59 AM

a little black duck said:
Incorrectly installed fans, or too many fans can cause turbulent airflow, meaning the hot air does not exhaust and just spirals around inside the case building heat.


So what do i do ? And 3 fans are a lot ?
m
0
l
September 22, 2012 10:38:45 AM

Nope, 3 fans aren't too many. I'm running 3 fans on my rig. But set the rear fan to exhaust and the front and side fans to intake. But as Boju said 5degrees isn't that much, and the temps you've reported are entirely normal.
m
0
l
September 22, 2012 10:44:37 AM

a little black duck said:
Nope, 3 fans aren't too many. I'm running 3 fans on my rig. But set the rear fan to exhaust and the front and side fans to intake. But as Boju said 5degrees isn't that much, and the temps you've reported are entirely normal.


84c for a processor is normal ?? even after adding a new fan ??
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2012 10:50:54 AM

if its reaching 84c now, something you’ve done has made things worse. Reconfigure the fans, make sure they’re facing the right way and configured like black duck has suggested. Air is obviously not flowing in the same direction as it was before.
m
0
l
September 22, 2012 10:54:33 AM

divJ said:
84c for a processor is normal ?? even after adding a new fan ??

It would be at the hotter end of normal but nothing to be overly concerned about. Alot depends on ambient temp as well. Set your rear fan to exhaust, front and side to intake and then take the temps again. Temps in the mid 70's are normal for full load with good airflow. Speaking of which, make sure your cables do not look like a birds nest. Bad cable layout will definately reduce airflow and increase temps.
m
0
l
September 22, 2012 11:09:27 AM

a little black duck said:
It would be at the hotter end of normal but nothing to be overly concerned about. Alot depends on ambient temp as well. Set your rear fan to exhaust, front and side to intake and then take the temps again. Temps in the mid 70's are normal for full load with good airflow. Speaking of which, make sure your cables do not look like a birds nest. Bad cable layout will definately reduce airflow and increase temps.


yeah i made sure while building the pc that the wires stick together.. not like going everywhere in the case..
m
0
l
!