Since I installed XP back in June, I have been getting the ‘new hardware
found’ wizard every time windows start. My printers are working fine
however. It is now annoying and I tried to delete the LPTENUM key and I
can’t delete it. Any suggestions? Please do not refer me to the article
because I have already been through all the steps.

Thanks,
Allan.

Which article? Do you mean the article that tells you to run the
installation routine on the specified device? If yes, and you've run or
re-run the routine, check the device manufacturer's website for updated
drivers and software. Then, remove the device and its drivers, reboot and
let the system find the device unless the manufacturer recommends a
different install routine. Then, use the new drivers and software, usually
the software for the device contains the drivers and installs them as part
of the software installation routine, to reinstall the device.

The problem can be caused but drivers that may not be fully recognized by
the system so checking for the latest XP drivers and/or software at the
manufacturer's website may resolve the issue.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since I installed XP back in June, I have been getting the 'new hardware
> found' wizard every time windows start. My printers are working fine
> however. It is now annoying and I tried to delete the LPTENUM key and I
> can't delete it. Any suggestions? Please do not refer me to the article
> because I have already been through all the steps.
>
> Thanks,
> Allan.

I am already using the latest drivers compatible with XP. Are you telling me
that I should delete the printer and drivers and reinstall?

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Which article? Do you mean the article that tells you to run the
> installation routine on the specified device? If yes, and you've run or
> re-run the routine, check the device manufacturer's website for updated
> drivers and software. Then, remove the device and its drivers, reboot and
> let the system find the device unless the manufacturer recommends a
> different install routine. Then, use the new drivers and software, usually
> the software for the device contains the drivers and installs them as part
> of the software installation routine, to reinstall the device.
>
> The problem can be caused but drivers that may not be fully recognized by
> the system so checking for the latest XP drivers and/or software at the
> manufacturer's website may resolve the issue.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since I installed XP back in June, I have been getting the 'new hardware
> > found' wizard every time windows start. My printers are working fine
> > however. It is now annoying and I tried to delete the LPTENUM key and I
> > can't delete it. Any suggestions? Please do not refer me to the article
> > because I have already been through all the steps.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Allan.

I'm saying you should try uninstalling the printer and reinstalling. If you
have software that came with the printer, remove uninstall that, then delete
the printer, if you receive a message there are other files associated with
this printer and asks if you wish to delete them as well, do so. Then,
reboot and try reinstalling. When you reboot, see if the message appears
telling you it has found new hardware and try using that routine for
installing your printer if possible.

--

"Allan Rogers" <AllanRogers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am already using the latest drivers compatible with XP. Are you telling
>me
> that I should delete the printer and drivers and reinstall?
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Which article? Do you mean the article that tells you to run the
>> installation routine on the specified device? If yes, and you've run or
>> re-run the routine, check the device manufacturer's website for updated
>> drivers and software. Then, remove the device and its drivers, reboot
>> and
>> let the system find the device unless the manufacturer recommends a
>> different install routine. Then, use the new drivers and software,
>> usually
>> the software for the device contains the drivers and installs them as
>> part
>> of the software installation routine, to reinstall the device.
>>
>> The problem can be caused but drivers that may not be fully recognized by
>> the system so checking for the latest XP drivers and/or software at the
>> manufacturer's website may resolve the issue.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Since I installed XP back in June, I have been getting the 'new
>> > hardware
>> > found' wizard every time windows start. My printers are working fine
>> > however. It is now annoying and I tried to delete the LPTENUM key and
>> > can't delete it. Any suggestions? Please do not refer me to the
>> > article
>> > because I have already been through all the steps.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Allan.

I also have been suffering from this problem, this has absolutely nothing to do with drivers but a broken "Reg Key", and is identified as a "broken component" in the hardware installation wizard for XP. I can only assume that not all users are affected as many will have printers already physically attached/installed. I do not, I only use XP as my employer insists upon it, so I have no requirement for any printing whatsoever from a Windows system....... Anyway ....

The MS article describes deleting the LPTENUM key in the registry - that does not work if like me you do not have any printing. Issues with being denied deleting the key are down to the "Permissions" for the key. Allow "EVERYONE" permission to the key you can delete it. However, the next restart will simply re-add the key, and the problem will re-surface.

MS article - by the way is : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298370

"The New Hardware Wizard may detect the printer device after every restart of the computer"

SYMPTOMS
"Whenever you restart your computer, the Found New Hardware Wizard may detect your previously installed printer, even though it is not a newly installed printer. "

My Solution (not any promoted by MS):

Keep the key LPTENUM - ignore the MS tech documentation - but change the permissions for key LPTENUM for "SYSTEM" to "Deny" for "Full Control" & "Read". Close REGEDIT and re-IPL.

Problem gone, however if you later require a printer attached you may need to re-visit these changes ...... Alternatively install Linux

Jos