Sign in with
Your question

New build. Tried EVERYTHING! No power, nothing!

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2010 11:43:27 PM

So I had a Gigabyte motherboard and a heat sink laying around so I thought that I would put them to use and build another PC for my basement theater.

So far, I have done the following only to achieve no power whatsoever:

I hooked everything up, clicked the power on the power supply and nothing.

I then removed everything except for 1 stick of ram. Still nothing.

I then removed the 1 stick of ram. Nothing.

Then I put the motherboard on a wooden table and tried that. Nothing.

Then I used the paperclip test on the PS and the fan turned on.

Not trusting the paperclip test, I hooked up a known working power supply. Nothing.

So, at this point, I was fairly certain of the following:

The power supply is likely not the problem as the clip test worked and a known working PS didn't help.

It is not a grounding issue as it wouldn't power up on a wooden table.

So I started to think it was the motherboard.

Before I replaced the motherboard, I reattached the CPU and heat sink and checked for any bent pins. Still NOTHING!

I replaced the motherboard. STILL NOTHING! I'm really at my wits end with this. I have searched the internet extensively and only found problems where people were getting fans to spin then stop. I'm getting nothing and have no idea what to do next.

Here is my current list of parts:

Gigabyte MA785GM-Us2H Motherboard (brand new replaced Gigabyte MA78GS-S2H)
500 Watt power supply (non-modular)
AMD Phenom Dual Core Processor 2.7 ghz
OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400 800 memory (2 sticks of 4 gigs each)
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT/GTX 512mb (non using for setup as the MB has onboard video)
I have other components, but there is no need to list them as I can't even get the thing to power on.

Please help if you can! I want to get on with my life! It's been 2 days of non-stop troubleshooting.

More about : build power

a c 435 V Motherboard
August 27, 2010 11:53:41 PM

Is the cpu listed under "cpu support" and does it require a certain bios file? You haven't tried another power supply? 500 watts of generic badness may not cut it. What brand do you use? And finally, many low end boards are limited to 95 watt cpus; only a few phenoms fall into that category. Most are 125 or more watts.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2010 11:59:35 PM

I did try a known working power supply and had the same lack of results.

I forgot to mention that with the first motherboard I used it with a very similar setup and it worked fine. This new motherboard would not be considered low end (around $100) but also not top of the line. But yes, this processor is listed as compatible with this board.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2010 12:12:42 AM

Could you please be much more specific about the components you are using.
Exactly what is the complete model # of the CPU?

When you say

"I then removed everything except for 1 stick of ram. Still nothing.
I then removed the 1 stick of ram. Nothing.
Then I put the motherboard on a wooden table and tried that. Nothing."

do you mean you did not have the CPU and heat sink on the MB?
Nothing will happed, no PG signal, without the CPU in place -

But if that is the only common component you have been using, consider taking it down to a local shop and for $10 see if it will POST in one of their test boards. I would guess the problem is either a CPU mismatch with the MB or a bad CPU.
m
l
Related resources
!