4.2 to 4.5

I bought a hyper 212 and with prime95 I get like 55-60 celsius full load, but never pass 50 even in the most intense games, so i thought about overclocking to 4.5. Will I need to change voltage or anything? because i did not do it after my 4.2 overclock so im afraid of increasing this.. im happy since the bottleneck in Guild Wars 2 nearly is gone, but not just there.. So.. Do I need to change something more to get to 4.5? Is it risky?
thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Temps are great. No worries, push it more.Don't increase voltage unless you have to. Increase the multiplier and see if it's stable. I increased my cpu multiplier but games (bf3) crashed often so I had to pull back and settle with 4.2
  2. envy14tpe said:
    Temps are great. No worries, push it more.Don't increase voltage unless you have to. Increase the multiplier and see if it's stable. I increased my cpu multiplier but games (bf3) crashed often so I had to pull back and settle with 4.2

I don't wanna risk crashes and so on... You say you crashed much, and not change voltage unless i have to? Apparently I have to because of the crash problem, how do I know much much I should change and so? thanks,
  3. Thanks for trying to help me by the way,
    Is voltage important? Do I need to keep an eye on that or temps? While just surfing round, having Borderlands 2 open in the backround i Have 1.320. Is that fine? I'll try to stress it with prime a few minutes.
    1.272-80 while stress testing, thats my voltage. is it fine?
  4. What is your CPU? I've read that for i5 2500k it's best to stay under 1.5V. Mine never exceeds 1.38V under heavy load and never crashes. I run two programs that monitor my computer so I'm confident about the values. I want my CPU to last 3 years. I wish I could reach 4.5MHz but my mobo isn't a great high overclocker.

My favorite program is CPUID Hardware Monitor. My CPU never exceeds upper 60s.

All in all your voltage are fine and you can increase it to get better stability of you keep pushing your overclock.
  5. envy14tpe said:
    What is your CPU? I've read that for i5 2500k it's best to stay under 1.5V. Mine never exceeds 1.38V under heavy load and never crashes. I run two programs that monitor my computer so I'm confident about the values. I want my CPU to last 3 years. I wish I could reach 4.5MHz but my mobo isn't a great high overclocker.

My favorite program is CPUID Hardware Monitor. My CPU never exceeds upper 60s.

All in all your voltage are fine and you can increase it to get better stability of you keep pushing your overclock.

what do i need to change more than multiplier exactly then?
    what is voltage anyways? Do I need to keep my eye on the voltage, or is voltage something which affects my cpu temperature? Or is voltage some kind of temperature?
  6. Vcore and multiplier is all you have to change. You don't want to go over 1.35-1.4v for longevity. You keep an eye on both voltage and temps. Voltage is pretty much power as amperage is constant (Amps x Volts = Watts) and more power means more heat. You keep an eye on both because a good cooler can keep temps down and still have voltage go above safe. You want to manually set voltage or usually you won't oc high. I assume this is why envy can't go high, as my Z68 pro3 can go to 4.7 but temps get too hot to go higher (CM 212+). Either that or you were very unlucky in the cpu lottery. 1.38v is way to high for a 4.2 oc and too much voltage can cause instability too. 1.35v is about the average for 4.5ghz. I can get mine down to 1.3v at 4.6ghz. BTW I use offset not fixed.
  7. I get 1.111 voltage now for my CPU. But my problem is that it underclocks itself now. I got the right voltage or so, but whenevr i stress test it get to 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 ghz and when I game. this is not the case with my 4.2 clock
  8. i5-2500K - P67 Overclocking

ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution B3 (nf200)
    (PLEASE NOTE THESE ARE MY ACTUAL SETTINGS AND ONLY A BASE FOR OTHERS.)

* hit multiplier to 44
    * disable turbo boost
    * disable speed spectrum
    (some motherboards will disable turbo when speed spectrum is disabled)
    * LLC - regular or medium (x45 and below)
    * Phase Control - optimized
    * enable internal PPL overvoltage
    * enable execute disable bit
    * enable Intel Virtualization Tech
    * disable CPUID Maximum
    * disable overspeed protection
    * CPU @ 120%
    * CPU voltage - offset mode (-0.015)
    * long and short duration times, set them both to 150...
    * make sure power saving features are enabled:
    C1E, C3/C6, CPU EIST
    * set hardware monitor | fans no less than 62.5%
    * XMP RAM
    * save and exit
    * boot into windows

default voltage levels with multi up to x43: 1.24-1.26V
    multi x44 up to x47 voltage: 1.30 - 1.375v

LLC - load line calibration
    x45 = medium / x49 = high

CPU temp: idle @ 30C (package) / load @ 61C
    CPU cooling: CM TX3 with dual 92mm fans (push/pull)

tweaked my 2500K unit....
    http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2557838.png
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking